Pepakura and More

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeHackstadt

Hello Everyone.

I am new here and like all new people I am still trying to figure things out. I downloaded Pepakura 3 Viewer and Designer. Then when there was a new download which was Pepakura 4. With the newest download all the files I had found and saved for different armors disappeared. I don't know why or how but it was concerning. Since then I have only found one download. I know its weird. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else?

I will refer to Pepakura by P and the versions from here on.

Next, I printed out MkV Master Chief Helmet using P4. When I did that it asked if I wanted to change the print out to fit my printer settings instead of P4 setting. I of course clicked NO, and got 13 pages printed out. My question is should I have changed the settings or not?

Third, I am concerned out the size of the print outs. I have done one print out about 4 months back on P3D and the print out seemed to take up the whole of the pages. These from P4 only fit the page it seemed. I am not sure if each is sized correctly. Other then putting it together how will I know it is sized correctly?

Finally, I watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people putting these together. I used green card stock from a set from Walmart. Its about 70 strength, little weaker then a standard card you give someone but a lot stronger then construction paper. What kind of adhesive should I be using to put them together and should I leave out the visor section when I do?

Any assistance or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mike

Well! Plenty of questions, I see! Let's begin!

With the newest download all the files I had found and saved for different armors disappeared. I don't know why or how but it was concerning. Since then I have only found one download. I know its weird. I was wondering if this happened to anyone else?

It shouldn't have done - are you sure the files are misplaced somehow? It's worth double-checking, since I doubt Pep4 would delete files from your computer upon installation.

Next, I printed out MkV Master Chief Helmet using P4. When I did that it asked if I wanted to change the print out to fit my printer settings instead of P4 setting. I of course clicked NO, and got 13 pages printed out. My question is should I have changed the settings or not?

This alert will pop up if the paper settings in Pepakura (any version) are different to the settings specified in the printer's own settings screen. You'll need to check that both the file and your printer are working in the same paper size - be that A4 or Letter, and always check that the margins on your pages are set to 5mm to give you the best amount of page real estate to print on.

Third, I am concerned out the size of the print outs. I have done one print out about 4 months back on P3D and the print out seemed to take up the whole of the pages. These from P4 only fit the page it seemed. I am not sure if each is sized correctly.

This does sound a lot like a difference in paper types - again, check that you're using the same paper settings for Pep4 and your printer.

Other then putting it together how will I know it is sized correctly?

Oh, the bane of every costumer... incorrectly-sized pieces. You can use the 'Measure Distance Between Points' tool to help give yourself a rough idea of how large certain points on your piece are, and whether they'll fit you, but ultimately, it's all down to trial and error.

Finally, I watched a couple of videos on YouTube of people putting these together. I used green card stock from a set from Walmart. Its about 70 strength, little weaker then a standard card you give someone but a lot stronger then construction paper. What kind of adhesive should I be using to put them together and should I leave out the visor section when I do?

If you have a Staples close by, I would suggest getting your card from there. I personally use their 65lb/176gsm cardstock for my projects, it's fairly rigid. I can't really advise on adhesives, since I'm new to the United States and I'm not sure which brands to use, but I personally have UHU All Purpose Adhesive imported in. Can't beat the stuff.

Finally: DO NOT LEAVE OUT YOUR VISOR. IT IS STRUCTURALLY IMPORTANT AND LEAVING IT OUT WILL CAUSE YOUR PIECE TO WARP HORRIBLY. I cannot overstate how important it is to assemble the entire piece and then harden it as one piece. You should only remove your visor when you're absolutely certain that your piece is structurally sound, which usually means a few layers of resin and fibreglass first - otherwise it's going to end up a flopping, warped mess that'll have been a waste of your time and resources.

I hope that goes so way towards helping you! Good luck with your build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back