Pepakura+ Clay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was woundering what you guys think about using pep to help with making clay molds?
Kinda like carving the helm out of clay using pep as a kind of stencil,so I can cast molds.
Becaise I dont think I'm skilled enough to make a sculpture by my self,and pep dont offer enough detail.

I would appreciate any imput.

Thanks

After you resin and fiberglass it, yes it makes sense, and then again no, costwise, it's cheaper to buy a chunk of clay helmet sized, than to spend money with pep/resin/glass.

AoBfrost said:
After you resin and fiberglass it, yes it makes sense, and then again no, costwise, it's cheaper to buy a chunk of clay helmet sized, than to spend money with pep/resin/glass.

Actually. Not really. The glasses pep model would cost you $25 bucks. Tops.
A block of solid clay that size? easily $100.

Now, with the glassed pep, you need 1/4 the amount of clay to finish the sculpt.

You'd look to save $50 bucks give or take, and ultimately, have a much high product....that is, if you can do better with clay than what you could do with bondo/glaze and a demel.

IMO, you could do well enough with the glassed pep, and bondo/glaze.

And save yourself some cash. Then make a mold of that. That's what others do. And theirs are coming out just as good as guys who spend all the time sculpting from scratch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Deadandbroken said:
I was woundering what you guys think about using pep to help with making clay molds?
Kinda like carving the helm out of clay using pep as a kind of stencil,so I can cast molds.
Becaise I dont think I'm skilled enough to make a sculpture by my self,and pep dont offer enough detail.

I would appreciate any imput.

Thanks

Well I used pep as a base for my molded helmet... so I know it can be done. Don't let the nay-sayer's discourage you.

crazybunny said:
i think he means make a pep helmt, then build clay around it.

I realize what he meant, I am just saying that its possible to do what he is saying to achieve a good final look. Patience and an eye for detail will be your best friends.

If you already have the helm made, I'd say using a pep helmet you are COMPLETELY satisfied with as a basis for your clay helm would be a great idea.

But if you were starting from scratch, you could learn how and build several clay helms in the time it would take you to make a pep and then clay it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back