Pepakura Master Chief Hemet File Visor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bfolkrod

In the Master Chief Helmet File I am using (AND IN ANY MC HELMET FILE) it seems that in the area where the visor is set, it is covered in paper? Is that how it's suppose to be?/do I have to cut it out once it has been completely built?/Do I just avoid building that section when building the rest? Or is it just something that doesn't exist and just fills that area in the Pepakura Viewer/Designer?(In other words) It's invisible... I would appreciate any response to this topic. If someone has posted something like this I am terribly sorry! but for the record I did search for over 35 minutes trying to see if anyone had this predicament...Thank You For taking the time to read this! :) :D :p

the paper where the visor is suppsosed to be can either be cut out after fiberglassing, or you can just avoid putting it in all together. i would put it in, as it helps prevent warping when you fiberglass. but it's your choice. leaving it out shouldn't cause a problem

moultonator said:
the paper where the visor is suppsosed to be can either be cut out after fiberglassing, or you can just avoid putting it in all together. i would put it in, as it helps prevent warping when you fiberglass. but it's your choice. leaving it out shouldn't cause a problem

Thanks! Isn't fiberglassing the part where you place chunks of fiberglass mat into the inside of the armor? and then resin that over? if it is then wouldn't it be hard to cut out that section afterwards? And finally...Is warping when something seems to droop,bend or appear distorted? (Sorry I'm so ignorant! :S)

Last edited by a moderator:
lol it's okay. yes, that's basically what warping is. i didn't put in the paper visor and my model turned out okay. jus make sure you resin the outside of your project lightly before you fiberglass, as that will help prevent warping as well. feel free to ask if you have anymore questions

Actually, it is pretty important to leave it in, as resin is wet, and paper becomes soft when wet things touch it.

Now, it won't get nearly as wet as paper saoked in water per say, But the visor fills up a pretty big part of the helmet. The combiation of the weight of the brim and the added weakness of the paper will make the helm sag down a lot.

It may not sag a lot, maybe not at all, like moultonator said, but it's probably just easier to glue a few extra tabs, whip out the dremel, and sand the edges a bit and not worry about warpage, than to risk the chance of the helm sagging, and having to start over.

So I suggest putting the visor in, and cutting it out after fiberglassing.

moultonator said:
lol it's okay. yes, that's basically what warping is. i didn't put in the paper visor and my model turned out okay. jus make sure you resin the outside of your project lightly before you fiberglass, as that will help prevent warping as well. feel free to ask if you have anymore questions

Once again..THANKS :D So I did describe the process of fiberglassing correctly? Did you still print out the page with the paper visor on it or did you remove it (using/inside the Pepakura Designer/Viewe)before you printed it? (obviously (once again) using/inside the Pepakura Designer/Viewer)

basically. there are lots of tutorials if your still unsure. crackhead09 has good tutorials. i printed it out just in case.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
Actually, it is pretty important to leave it in, as resin is wet, and paper becomes soft when wet things touch it.

Now, it won't get nearly as wet as paper saoked in water per say, But the visor fills up a pretty big part of the helmet. The combiation of the weight of the brim and the added weakness of the paper will make the helm sag down a lot.

It may not sag a lot, maybe not at all, but it's probably just easier to glue a few extra tabs, whip out the dremel, and sand a bit and not worry about warpage, than to risk the chance of the helm sagging, and having to start over.

So I suggest putting the visor in, and cutting it out after fiberglassing.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh. I see....well From the information I have gathered so far I am probably considering adding the paper visor section in and then cutting it outwith a dremel,sanding. (blah blah blah etc' etc'.) My motto actually is "Better safe then sorry." So I guess I should probably stick to it! lol (Thx)

moultonator said:
basically. there are lots of tutorials if your still unsure. crackhead09 has good tutorials. i printed it out just in case.

Good reference to know! :D Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back