Pepakura to 3D Print Tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

calladar

I have been using my Makerbot Replicator 2 for a while now and in the process I have been doing several commissions for people over the year. With the work I have done with mine it has prompted several people who I have done commissions for to purchase their own. Also the 3D printer community is growing daily. With the growing community I have been trying to help as many people as I can. I noticed that there really were not any tutorials out there to help people with the baby steps to get started.

With that in mind I created a basic tutorial to get started in converting a file from Pepakura, cleaning, smoothing, creating wall thickness, slicing and general basic steps to be successful with a print that one would be happy with.

this tutorial is just that, "basic." As some people heard I was doing the tutorial I had a couple requests to add to the tutorial which I did. As this is a version 1 of the tutorial there may be some things that I need to correct or expand on and I will in later versions. For now here is what I have completed so far.

http://www.4shared.com/office/Z3azbQxDba/Pepakura_to_3D_Print_Tutorial.html

file updated

This is a really useful tutorial. Ive been a 3D printing fanatic for a while and have always wanted to use one for this since I hate the pep process. I cant wait to get to use it someday.

Cool. A very nice and in-depth tutorial. I use Autodesk Maya for most of my projects, so I just apply what you do in Wings3D and Blender that what I do in Maya:)

Good work - but this tutorial covers reverse exporting from Pep 3, which tends to be a big no-no since you're essentially taking the work of other people without their consent and using it for means other than what it was designed for. There's been a lot of controversy here on the 405th regarding reverse-exporting from Pep 3, and then general consensus was reached that permission should always be given by the file creator before doing so. Your tutorial doesn't seem to cover that issue.

You may want to either take this tutorial down, or add an addendum stating that proper permissions for editing those files must be given before working on them.

Good work - but this tutorial covers reverse exporting from Pep 3, which tends to be a big no-no since you're essentially taking the work of other people without their consent and using it for means other than what it was designed for. There's been a lot of controversy here on the 405th regarding reverse-exporting from Pep 3, and then general consensus was reached that permission should always be given by the file creator before doing so. Your tutorial doesn't seem to cover that issue.

You may want to either take this tutorial down, or add an addendum stating that proper permissions for editing those files must be given before working on them.

I was not familiar with the controversy. But if I was to put my two cents in I would most likely generate more to the controversy due to my own feelings about the subject, since it has been now been brought to my attention. the tutorial is what it is, a suggested way to prepare a Pepakura file for 3d print.

I was not familiar with the controversy. But if I was to put my two cents in I would most likely generate more to the controversy due to my own feelings about the subject, since it has been now been brought to my attention. the tutorial is what it is, a suggested way to prepare a Pepakura file for 3d print.

Understood, but that still doesn't quite make taking user-generated content and modifying it without permission right. I'm a modeller myself and I'd be somewhat... steamed, shall we say, to learn that somebody had downloaded my Pepakura models and then reverse-exported them without my given consent, to tinker with them. As far as I'm aware, none of the 405th's user-generated content is released under Creative Commons License - this means that no other user has the right to simply take and alter that content for their own means or purposes, without first asking. The files are released for use as intended in Pepakura, to take them without asking is a perversion of their original purpose.

Your tutorial is solid, I can't argue with that. However, for common courtesy, I'd suggest and appreciate if you appended your tutorial to expressly suggest that consent be obtained for editing these files before following this tutorial further. Modellers work hard to generate content for the community, the least the users can do in return is thank them for this content and obtain permission before going ahead and altering/modifying those files further.

And this is why I was hesitant to respond. But for the sake of argument, I will add a disclaimer as you ask. I do not wish to offend anyone nor turn this thread into a discussion on this matter.

Just find the Halo asset databases for 3, reach and 4.
Avoids all the bs and allows for completely game accurate parts ;)

I do not wish to offend anyone nor turn this thread into a discussion on this matter.

Nor would I. Your stance is completely understandable, but from the other side of things, you have to understand how many toes you're likely to step on with a venture like this.

Thanks for your consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back