pepakura used as a mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Malevelus

To start this was quite fun,

To get me started I saw these at a hard ware store:

These matched up for the dimples on the halo armor, so I figured I try it out. These are made of teflon so they dont stick to anything! and are easy to remove.

Here they are next to the finished pep piece.

First draw a sketch of the pattern on the back of the pep hand to locate where you want to place them. Then poke the nails on them through the top.

Now flip it over and put them in place.

Now using pam or other non stick cooking spray spray down the inside of the pepakura piece, and blot dry.

Now pour in the resin, or what ever your using.
Once cured, use a razor and carefully cut away the paper mold.

And now you have a frshly new made armor part.

Please note: larger items like the AR, or chest armor will need some resin to reinforce them prior to casting. They will not hold they're shape if they get wet, or have too much on them at once. TAKE YOUR TIME!

Check out my next post to see why! I was in a rush to get an already damaged pep AR, covered in RTV, before dinner that was going down in 15 minutes.

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=7306

wow...cool Idea, Darth... Good find on the teflon, too.

So, that's a solid piece of resin? And how did it turn out using the INSIDE of the pepakura? did the detail come out fine, or where there indents from the tabs?

Keep up the good work!

~Epyon

Very nice, my original hand plate was a finished pep. Can't wait to see what you are doing next.

This is a really good idea.

If resin wasn't so expensive, I would do an entire suit like it! Actually, I probably will do an entire suit like this over time. Then, I'll vacuum form the pieces and give some as gifts to my friends.

To answer your question, yes it does leave the indent from the lil tabs. Their easy to sand down. al the details came out fine! Just make sure you pep is accurately scored on the lines (er folded sharply, and evenly). And make sure your pep is supported evenly so it doesnt warp while the material is curing.

Im in process for building a 24" by 24" vac forming table so Im try to make templates to vac form all of my parts. Ive been in the 501st long enough to know how much a heavy costume sucks! But I also dont want the pep fold lines left in my costume when Im done. I want my masterchief costume to look like I stepped right out of the warthog so to speak.

Yes, Its a solid piece of bondo, and to answer your question I found a type of resin body filler thats VERY cheap. in fact its 14 dollars a gallon.

Evercoat glass light FIB156. Its a paste resin based body filler, filled with fiberglass particles (chopped up firberglass particles). Ive bought it but as yet havent crasked the can open yet. I have been picking the brain of many people in the costuming community, and the 501st for info on whats the best and cheapest to use.

Like the smooth on products are nice, but one down side Ive heard of is its short pot life. It can cure literally in the mixing cup while your spreading it on your mold. So it has to be mixed in small amounts, and done a little bit at a time.

Darth-Malevelus said:
Yes, Its a solid piece of bondo, and to answer your question I found a type of resin body filler thats VERY cheap. in fact its 14 dollars a gallon.

Evercoat glass light FIB156. Its a paste resin based body filler, filled with fiberglass particles (chopped up firberglass particles). Ive bought it but as yet havent crasked the can open yet. I have been picking the brain of many people in the costuming community, and the 501st for info on whats the best and cheapest to use.

Like the smooth on products are nice, but one down side Ive heard of is its short pot life. It can cure literally in the mixing cup while your spreading it on your mold. So it has to be mixed in small amounts, and done a little bit at a time.

That sounds like some of the stuff that we used last year on our race car body panels.... Its Microlight Fairing Filler made by west sytem. It's a very fine powder that you mix in with mixed resin that you use as a body filler. It's kinda goopy, and you can make it as thick as you want by adding more powder, but it is some of the easiest stuff to sand that I've ever encountered.

Is that along the lines of the Evercoat you're talking about? Cause that west stuff is nice, but it's expensive as crap, and you still need the resin...

Could I get some more details on it? I'm curious :p

~Epyon

Last edited by a moderator:
Evercoat website is where you can find it. its catalog item name is FIB-156 http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=147

This isnt something you add powerder to. I suppose you could if you wanted to. But its a a resin compound (has glass particles already in it, (but very tiny ones). It comes with a tube of activator like bondo does.

Its a paste epoxy resin used as a body filler. And comes highly reccomended from both the auto industry and from the costuming (star wars) community. I have been told its very easy to use, easy to spread, sand, everything. And its 14 dollars a gallon before shipping.

I ordered mine through the local auto parts store.
It came out to about 20 dollars with an extra hardener tube added to the order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back