Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4 thread of shenanigans-UNDERSUIT TIME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Phil's Reach EOD + Halo 4 thread of shenanigans (pretty much done)

Love how the chest came out! love this build and I am really excited for my build seeing this :D

Thanks a lot, pipninja! I've been following your eod build as well, and I'm excited to see it come together. If you need any reference pics from my build or different angles, don't hesitate to ask!

That's a sweet set of armor! Nothing against the ODST and the Mark VI but I think your armor stands out more. Shame on me for not subscribing earlier. There's a lot of good information in this thread. I'll make sure to subscribe to your next build...whatever it is :).

Thanks a ton for the kind words, Frozenshot! I've really enjoyed reading and following your build along too! Hopefully within the next month or two I'll be able to get a start on my new suit.

Hey FlyinPhil Your Costume Looks Great (better than my ODST)! Good luck getting it done on time!

Hey FlyinPhil, saw your build at the Edmonton Con, looks awesome hopefully my Reach build looks that good.

Hey FlyinPhil, saw your build at the Edmonton Con, looks awesome hopefully my Reach build looks that good.

Thanks a ton man! If you are edmonton local and need a hand or pointers on your build, feel free to drop me a pm!

I don't know why, but this picture is really inspirational:

20140613_175904.jpg
I guess I just really like the way it bulks everything up. Sometimes you see builds that seem thin and small, yours really seems to convey the largeness of a spartan. Well done sir.

I don't know why, but this picture is really inspirational:

View attachment 22815
I guess I just really like the way it bulks everything up. Sometimes you see builds that seem thin and small, yours really seems to convey the largeness of a spartan. Well done sir.

Thanks man! You have no idea how satisfying it was to slide that arm on for the first time. That alone got me super stoked to put in the time to finish my build off.

superb job... from the clean-cut details to the paint job, it's da' bomb
;-)

With the Calgary Comic expo coming up in another month or so, I figured it would be a good idea to add a few things to my suit!

So the first, and most important, thing on my agenda is the undersuit. I didn't have enough time to make a detailed undersuit for the last con I went to, but luckily I have lots of time now! My undersuit, like the rest of my armor set, will be a combination of halo reach and halo 4 designs as well.

I started off with the bum. This piece of detail is rather important, as I lack much physical definition back there haha. So I began work on this part by heating up a couple sheets of 5/6 mm craft foam, and sitting on them on a soft surface (my bed). This gave me a solid contoured base to layer up detail on. I needed to make a few cuts in these sheets during construction to add a little more shape.

20160321_123544.jpg

Realizing that this wouldn't be flexible though, I did a little testing, and ended up cutting some relief cuts between the details, with some spandex hot glued behind the relief cuts. It flexes well, is comfortable, and allows me free range of motion.

20160321_171159.jpg

20160321_171205.jpg

To attach the two "cheeks" together, I sandwiched a piece of spandex between the base and the detail of each side, which hinges them together, but allows for lots of flex as well.

20160321_162532.jpg

I then strategically hot glued the whole assembly to the long thermal base layer I used for my undersuit previously, as well as trimmed off quite a bit of material to make sure the new parts wouldn't interfere with my thighs or codpiece.

And voila, I have a bum.

20160321_211304.jpg

The last thing I have completed so far is adding some detail to the inner thighs. Nothing too fancy, but it adds some bulk as well.

20160322_121740.jpg

I suffer from the same lack of, uh, posterior fullness.

I have purchased a pair of snowboarding butt pads for $13 to solve the problem. They look a little like what you did.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458685447.579652.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1458685457.193584.jpg

"I'm just a witness"

nice shorts/undersuit does it have give for when you walk?

Yup! It's quite comfortable to walk in and I can still sit down while wearing it. I explained how I kept in comfortable and flex in all of the text, but looking back, it was a bit lengthy haha.

Super nice job. I've been seeing more people making the suits out if foam. I have coneticonn in July and my suit is not going as planed, I may start using the foam to try and get caught up .

Great work Phil! If you are interested in the reach eod decals for that lid let me know. I will send you the pdf to produce or I can help with that. Love the crossover on the armor styles. Nicely arranged. Keep building spartan!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back