Pipkin O.D.S.T Hybrid Wip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! It was kind of a risk making it out of two common emblems the skull emblem from halo 3 and the old Spartan logo, but it actually turned out much better than I expected.

Love the templates, I may use them in the future ^.^
Also loving the build :D

Thanks Mesh! Just note if you do end up using the templates some parts will needed to be re-scaled to fit your height, I have very long and skinny legs with small feet so the designs are stretched a bit. Also note that a few fold lines are not shown on the drawings because most of that gets added later when I build the foam pieces, and I don't really use exact measurements for that as I tend to pull up a reference picture and eyeball the shape.

can you help me in hardening as i have no fiberglass resin and do not have titebond available in my country
Ok, so typically this is something you would ask in a help wanted forum such as the new members sticky index, but since it's already here lets see what I can do... :cool
If it's possible the best alternative may be to order some resign from Amazon, or find a local source. That is is the easiest way to hardens objects but it's not the only method. Another method is to use plaster. Once a piece is built take and run a thick bead of hot glue along the inside near all the major seams then lheavily coat the inside with plaster to maje the object more solid. Cardboard strips can also be glued in to help prevent flexing, but note plaster is brittle and heavy. It also would mean that a thin coat would be needed in the outside for sanding. Plaster is also very porous and dusty. So it absorbs paint and may turn you white as a ghost when sanding.

Unless your fully determined to use Pepakura as the building process, given the availability of your resources, my suggestion is maybe find and alternative material such as Eva foam or cardboard. Eva foam requires a small learning curve but their are plenty of videos on how to learn. A popular tutor on YouTube is Adrew DFT. If eva foam is not available then you can substitute with foam camping mats or yoga mats. These just have a rougher texture.
Cardboard is another good media it's tigid enough that it can support bondo or plaster, and still flexible enough to be shaped into curves. Just remeber it will need to be coated with a thin coat of filler otherwise ribs will show through when you paint it. Personally I would just pick whats the easiest and cheapest to obtain. Amazing things can be made out of the strangest material. It just take a little creativity and a will to do it.
So best of luck, and hope this helped!

So after some trial and lets just say just a "couple" errors I have completed building the new set of leg armor.
Fist since I posted the design templates here are the patch notes:
​1. The trapezoid part connecting the front two halves of the calf should be discarded and replaced with a rectangular piece using the long side of the trapezoid for spacing. otherwise the bottom of the calf will curve inward and the calf will not fit.
2.The beveled edge of the shin is a pain to make over the long distance so it is easier to undercut the inner most line of the bevel and just straight cut the outermost line to maintain the detail.
3. The original boot was complete garbage so i just completely resigned it, it is also scaled to fit the other templates posted.
boot2 copy.png
So the question is what do they look like built?
I apologize for the LD images but had to resort to using my iphone's camera.
photo 1 (4).JPGphoto 2 (4).JPGphoto 4 (3).JPG
Here is the individual parts
photo 2 (3).JPGphoto 1 (3).JPGphoto 4 (4).JPGphoto 3 (4).JPG
Now its on to some cleaning up, sealing with mod podge, and paint.

boot2 copy.png

photo 1 (4).JPG

photo 2 (4).JPG

photo 2 (3).JPG

photo 1 (3).JPG

photo 4 (4).JPG

photo 3 (4).JPG

photo 4 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this looks fantastic. I just finished painting mine. Now to add straps. May add a few touch up pieces to the armor itself. Then to add details and make a weapon. Running out of time before Halloween.

Wow this looks fantastic. I just finished painting mine. Now to add straps. May add a few touch up pieces to the armor itself. Then to add details and make a weapon. Running out of time before Halloween.

Thanks man! Also from experience I would focus on the straps first typically takes a bit of adjusting to make things right. Good luck!

I understand completely. For me I had issue with two main things the knees kept sliding down and since my chest piece e is rigid fiberglass rathe than foam I couldn't pull it in tight without either choking myself or having issues with breathing. So what I had to do was sacrifice some of the look for functionality and add a spacer where the heat meets the straps. For the knees I use a velcro knee pad that slides inside of the knee whic make it tight enough tht it doesn't slide down. For the hip plates I made an adjustable belt with two side straps that buckle to the hip plates which keeps them from sliding down. I don't know if you are planning a backpack, but mine is held on by two bolts that have wing nuts on it. The shoulders have elastic that wraps around the arm and then buckles two the straps that support the chest plates. For pieces that are prone to breaking I either sandwiched them with foam or used a short screw that doesn't go through the foam.all in all my suit has 13 buckles and probably 40 feet of 1 inch wide strap. With about 3 feet of two inch wide strap. I know that sounds like a lot but I built it to be strong.I can run across my yard and not have anything fall off when most people struggle to walk.

Very nice work sir. I'm going to slow myself down on my next build and do a better job. For the sake of running out of time and needing to get it done, I did a test fit and it's far from perfect, but I hope it will be good enough for Halloween/and costume contest at work. You, are doing it right, and my goal for the next build, is to do it the way you've done so. :)

Very nice work sir. I'm going to slow myself down on my next build and do a better job. For the sake of running out of time and needing to get it done, I did a test fit and it's far from perfect, but I hope it will be good enough for Halloween/and costume contest at work. You, are doing it right, and my goal for the next build, is to do it the way you've done so. :)

Thank you I greatly appreciate the interest. This was actually my first complete build, and it does have its bad spots as well but the truth is they are never truly perfect. If you try to make one 100% perfect your bound to go insane, but it's all in the fun of making it. Iv'e been watching a couple of other builds and must say yours was very impressive as well. I don't think I will be making another ODST, as I achieved my goal with this one, given a short break of course the next step is a Spartan. Still have to plan some more though. Plus since I'm a full time student jockeying school work and finding the time for this is tough.

Same. The details on the rucksack look cool. Bradley kit?

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Same. The details on the rucksack look cool. Bradley kit
Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Yes, the rucksack is a slightly modified bradley kit. Adjusted the details on it a bit to fit more with they style of my build, and used a different set of truck clips that I already had.

Your ODST suit looks awesome, seen some pretty spectacular ODSTs on here and I would put yours in that class... Great work and the level of detail some of you guys can put into these suits is unreal.

Your ODST suit looks awesome, seen some pretty spectacular ODSTs on here and I would put yours in that class... Great work and the level of detail some of you guys can put into these suits is unreal.

Thanks, and yes It easy to almost go to the brink of insanity trying to make sure everything is perfect. Even though it is technically done I know some minor changes will be made down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back