planning on making the monument...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dallis

Hey everybody , i recently taken up clay sculpting and whatnot , and was thinking about getting a load of reference pictures, and finally start sculpting the john 117 monutment , i know i may sound crazy but i though it would be kool , if anybody would like to help please feel free to PM me ,
my plan was to buy more modelling clay , sculpt out all the covenant ,brutes and soldiers, then move on to the bigger things such as buildings vehicles , ect...
any help would be apreciated, i know it will cost alot but not as much as everyone may think , foam-core and foam boards for the buildings is VERY cheap , also i already have bout 2 pounds of modelling clay , (thats all the store had, i bought the rest of it :( ) the craft paint for fine detail is relatively expensive but still buyable, all the other materials such as L.E.Ds and wiring and whatnot is ok its not too expensive, so anyways, enough of me going on about it , again if you would like to help please feel free to PM me, i would be glad to answer them all and hope to hear from everybody soon :)
,Dallis

dallis said:
Hey everybody , i recently taken up clay sculpting and whatnot , and was thinking about getting a load of reference pictures, and finally start sculpting the john 117 monutment , i know i may sound crazy but i though it would be kool , if anybody would like to help please feel free to PM me ,
my plan was to buy more modelling clay , sculpt out all the covenant ,brutes and soldiers, then move on to the bigger things such as buildings vehicles , ect...
any help would be apreciated, i know it will cost alot but not as much as everyone may think , foam-core and foam boards for the buildings is VERY cheap , also i already have bout 2 pounds of modelling clay , (thats all the store had, i bought the rest of it :( ) the craft paint for fine detail is relatively expensive but still buyable, all the other materials such as L.E.Ds and wiring and whatnot is ok its not too expensive, so anyways, enough of me going on about it , again if you would like to help please feel free to PM me, i would be glad to answer them all and hope to hear from everybody soon :)
,Dallis

huh sure ill try ;) but wut about some vids to give you a better picture on the whole scenery??

i cant remember but ill try to find them 4 u :p

Last edited by a moderator:
TheUnamed said:
huh sure ill try ;) but wut about some vids to give you a better picture on the whole scenery??

i cant remember but ill try to find them 4 u :p
thats an excellen point , thanks for helping haha :) i could take screenshots off of halo3.com thanks for reminding:)

If your gonna get people to help you then you better plan out what scale you intend to build at so everything comes together properly.

Reclaimer said:
If your gonna get people to help you then you better plan out what scale you intend to build at so everything comes together properly.
i was plannig on building a large one , close to the real one hopefully....

how big is it anyway? it looks about six feet high by about 7 or eight long....since its a circle.....and its really only about 3 or four feet, since its on a large stand

EDIT
and as you all see the characters are close to 4 to 9 inches, im not quite sure, i will determine the real size soon

ok i looked at the characters again on the video , they look about the lenth of your hand , im going to say seven inches, if you disagree say so , just so we wont get the wrong measurements

dallis said:
i was plannig on building a large one , close to the real one hopefully....

how big is it anyway? it looks about six feet high by about 7 or eight long....since its a circle.....and its really only about 3 or four feet, since its on a large stand

EDIT
and as you all see the characters are close to 4 to 9 inches, im not quite sure, i will determine the real size soon

sure i will try as well sounds cool

Jarhead said:
There's a 'making of' the John 117 monument on YouTube
yes, im aware of that , thats what gave me the inspiration to form a group of people and build it, but thanks for the sugestion :)

thats actually where im going to get most of the references along with the help of some new friends who would like to sketch some concepts :)

Jarhead said:
One of the comments, either there or the "Believe" spot mentions it's 6 by 9 feet so that's gonna take a lot of work :)
oh ok i wasnt aware of the exact dimensions :) thanks a million for that jarhead :)

Well, you know that I'll lend a hand however I can. We can still work something out for the clay, I just won't be able to get anything soon (i.e. before December 10th)

papamurf812 said:
Well, you know that I'll lend a hand however I can. We can still work something out for the clay, I just won't be able to get anything soon (i.e. before December 10th)
oh i have my patience haha , i know this project will not be rushed , thats at the bottum of the checklist ,, so if you would like to help i would love it haha , nice to hear from you btw haha

would any body else like to help out?

Not to be a killjoy but this piece of art was commissioned by Bungie/Microsoft for probably around 20,000 dollars and was done by a team of professionals . It probably took them around 3-4 months depending on their workload and how soon it was needed by. Because there are not many good pics that allow you to get an idea of the EXACT layout of the monument, I recommend you make you own diorama, but take cool ideas from the monument.

Master Chef said:
Not to be a killjoy but this piece of art was commissioned by Bungie/Microsoft for probably around 20,000 dollars and was done by a team of professionals . It probably took them around 3-4 months depending on their workload and how soon it was needed by. Because there are not many good pics that allow you to get an idea of the EXACT layout of the monument, I recommend you make you own diorama, but take cool ideas from the monument.
oh no i wasnt going to build the monument to the exact porportions or anything , im building it with a new landscape and all , new buildings and stuff, i liked the bridge part though so thats going to be in it for sure , and im sure we could make this project for a cheap price, i can get like all the diorama for free, not including th characters and vehicles

I always wanted to make my one diorama. I'll try when I'll have more money ;)

I would like to help, but I'm living way to far :p

I can still give you advices

LastSpartan said:
I always wanted to make my one diorama. I'll try when I'll have more money ;)

I would like to help, but I'm living way to far :p

I can still give you advices
its not the fact you live too far away, everybody who wants to help can help , alot of them are from the U.S haha so it doesnt matter

oh okay, well tell me im wrong now.

medium_1372534846_24f4372ed8_o.jpg

medium_1371630501_dd70287506_o.jpg

its larger than most apartments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back