Plasauce foam build-HALO REACH CARTER VERSION 3.5-PIC HEAVY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quick update 5-31-12

Hello there 405th!!!! quick update. Today is thursday, and I am off for my 7 days. Thanks to DH27 for the modified foam pep file for a Commando Carter Helmet. Pieces are traced on the foam and will be getting cut and assembled soon. Hopefully it works out better than my previous attempt at a foam helmet, or pep helmet for that matter. Much shout out to RoxyRoo for showing us, me especially, that foam helmets are not only possible to make, but come out perfect!!!

STAY TUNED!!!!

nice looking build...just 1 question...on the boots ...have you tried walking around in them, and if so have you noticed if the paint is gonna suffer? have often considered trying to go to more of a fully functioning boot myself, rather then building something you slip over a shoe. just wondering if any of the senior crafters might have any options for putting a rubber sole on the bottoms to save the foam from being damaged?

I made the boots to fit directly on my feet as opposed to building around a shoe due to size and that it was simply easier for me to build this way. I am looking at getting a cheap pair of water slippers and tearing apart the bottom to glue onto my boot bottoms. As for the paint, if it gets scratched up, so much the better. I like a nice weathered armor set.

foam users are popping out lately huh.. Haha.. awesome work! lots of details, I wouldn't know if it's accurate cause I haven't played halo reach.. Hope to see more awesome work! Good luck :D

Update 6-10-12

UPDATE TIME 405th!!!

Halo Reach Carter Helmet is 90% complete.

I started with a foam method using a file edited for me by DH27. It didn't work out for me. I have no doubt if I try it again later it will come out better, but I seem to have a problem with foam and helmet combinations. I started another build using regular pep method with the Hi-Def model by Ruze789. I built one before, but it came out warped from too much resin coating too fast. The most recent one I tried started warping halfway through construction due to the glue I was using being too wet.

This time around it has come out great. I went slow and steady this time around. I scored and cut out the pieces as I added them, forcing me to take my time. Next step is the resin which will have to wait until it stops raining here in Lafayette LA. I didn't take any pics for fear of jinxing myself like the last one. Once everything is to my liking I'll start posting pics.

STAY TUNED!!!!

looking good man. i havnt had the money for foam but id like to try it. during the winter though. wearing a foam suit in the florida sun would kill me

UPDATE 6-21-12

OK, the helmet needs to be restarted, AGAIN, ARGH!!!!!

BUT, I have found it to be a learning experience in regards to using drywall mud in place of bondo. I used resin for the outside, then Rondo (Resin/Bondo) mixture for the interior, which I think may have contributed to the warping, UGH. I should have kept a better eye on this one, I got too confident. But I used drywall mud on the outside to smooth it out instead of bondo, and it worked GREAT! I was able to apply it without a mask and can even use gloved hands to apply it. I still used a mask to sand, but I only needed a fine grit to smooth it out.

Now here comes the best part for those worried about it getting wet. I used plasti-dip spray to waterproof and seal the helmet. I washed it down to test it out and no problems.

I am hoping I can blame the humidity down here in louisiana for the warpage, cause I am really getting tired of redoing this damn helmet. I want this sucker DONE for the halo 4 release dangit!!!

plasauce

HAPPY JULY 4th!!!! UPDATE WITH GOOD NEWS!!!!

Well 405th, I have completed the rondo and dremel out the visor area stage of my Carter helmet. All is well, no warping that I can see!!!! I have to start my 7 days on tmrw, but since the daylight is lasting til past 8, I am planning on getting another layer of rondo inside to reinforce a little more. The only problem I had this week was with supplies, no plasti dip spray to be found, argh!!! I wanted to wait until I was sure all was well before posting any pics, so here, we, GO!

p.s. this is the pic I took before the rondo was applied. the blue tape is to keep rondo from leaking out. I am using foamies in place of that area.

553978_10100237187436750_1556508552_n.jpg

611261747.jpg

so the helmet is DONE!!

Here it is folks, FINALLY the helmet is done. Or at least enought to my liking this time around LOL. COMMENTS PLEASE!!!

179502_10100248032692770_1244922061_n.jpg
376857_10100248032582990_241930675_n.jpg

548084_10100248032637880_239099100_n.jpg

Yeah it really looks cool.
I also want to try a part made of foam. By now I'm good informed about the work with resin and fiberglass but with foam I'm still a noob so I've got just two little questions:
1. when I finished a part sticking together is it then ready or do i need a special thing to make it harder and more resistant (like resin in with the other methode)
2. how is the foam painted? with normal spraycans or traditionally with a brush... or something other?

1. once glued together nothing more is needed to harden the foam. it's rigid enough on its own, but now completely tear proof.

2. to paint you will need something to seal the foam. if you can find something similar to plasti-dip to spray on, or modge podge to brush on. once that is dried you can spray paint or brush paint whatever color you like.

What mm foam do you use? Look to make a suit but can only find 3/8" and that feels thick to me.

update with a new helmet build, yes a NEW one

After finishing my helmet, I came upon a higher detail file built by Stony Props. It is a little more detailed and game accurate, and was a LOT easier to put together. Right now its on its 4th or 5th layer of resin. I wanted to make sure it was nice and rigid before adding the rondo, so as to avoid the warping i've experience MANY times before. Pics will be up soon!!!

plasauce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back