plaster/clay mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

smilie120

Sr Member
So...I read somwhere that when youve finnished your clay model, you can create a mold by using plaster?
I need theese questions answerd if im going to attempt this.

1. Would I have to pepare the clay before painting it with plaster?
2. How do I create a split line for the plaster?
3. How much would clay cost, I need enought to fit my head.
4. What material would be suitable to make a cast from the mold? (poly-uerathane or w.e?)
5. Is there any other way you can make a mold from a clay sculpt?

So can anyone help me with these?

many thanx
--smiliee120

smilie120 said:
So...I read somwhere that when youve finnished your clay model, you can create a mold by using plaster?
I need theese questions answerd if im going to attempt this.

1. Would I have to pepare the clay before painting it with plaster?
2. How do I create a split line for the plaster?
3. How much would clay cost, I need enought to fit my head.
4. What material would be suitable to make a cast from the mold? (poly-uerathane or w.e?)
5. Is there any other way you can make a mold from a clay sculpt?
So can anyone help me with these?

many thanx
--smiliee120

1. Nope, I just brushed the plaster right on to the clay.
2. I would suggest using a very thing metal. Flashing for ventilation systems is what I'm using. I'm not sure the best way to describe where to create the split lines in the mold.
3. I got cheap clay, $7.50 for 25lbs. It took all of my 25lbs of clay to sculpt my helm. More if you aren't sculpting on a head.
4. I'm using fiberglass to cast from my molds.
5. You could use a silicone product, most people do

Last edited by a moderator:
So I can use simple wall plaster, what comes in a white powder and you have to add water to it? Or do I have to use some silicone product for the first coat? How can I stop the plaster sticking to the clay? and finaly how many molds could i make out of a plaster cast?

smilie120 said:
So I can use simple wall plaster, what comes in a white powder and you have to add water to it? Or do I have to use some silicone product for the first coat? How can I stop the plaster sticking to the clay? and finaly how many molds could i make out of a plaster cast?

The plaster I'm using is called HYDROCAL. its very fine and is super strong. You do not want to use wall caster, at the very least use a "CASTING PLASTER." A 50lb bag of hydrocal cost me $25.

http://www.plaster.com/HYDROCAL.html

You should be able to make many castings from a plaster mold if you are careful and use a proper mold release.

all this seems cheaper than a pep helm. 1 More thing sorry. Where can I buy a polystyren head or somthing to work on top of?

smilie120 said:
all this seems cheaper than a pep helm. 1 More thing sorry. Where can I buy a polystyren head or somthing to work on top of?

any beauty supply place. hairdressing students use them to put wigs on when they learn to cut hair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back