Plastidip dangers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on where we're spraying the plastidip.

If you're in a well ventilated space, such as outdoors, a respirator shouldn't be required as the propellant gas will just dissipate like any other aerosol spray. But if you plan on spraying plastidip - or any other aerosol like it, such as spray paint - in a poorly ventilated space, a respirator should be used, because any gasses will build up in said space.

Also be wary of spraying plasti-dip on the interior of objects, such as a helmet. The vapors will not dissipate as well, which means prolonged exposure can be harmful.

I wouldn't worry about wearing a respirator mask if you're outside or in an open garage. But I mean, you should use any aerosol spray in a well-ventilated space anyway.

I wear one when I use plasti-dip, bondo, spray paint, resin. Even when I'm outside because even outside the fumes can get to you

I always spray outside, I'd love to play it safe but respirators are expensive...
I tried out plastidip for the first time today and it didn't go as expected, it is meant to spray in a strange consistency? I was expecting a spray paint-like can but mine was competently different!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I always spray outside, I'd love to play it safe but respirators are expensive...
I tried out plastidip for the first time today and it didn't go as expected, it is meant to spray in a strange consistency? I was expecting a spray paint-like can but mine was competently different!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

When I have used it, it comes out and looks like bubbles, but when it dries it smooths out

I didn't use much plastidip, but I never wore a mask.
I never used the original plastidip, just clones, but I never had anything forming bubbles before it dried.

I mean, when in doubt always go to the MSDS for the product if you have concerns about it.

Plasti-Dip Aerosol MSDS

It is a suspected carcinogen with repeated extended exposure so take that as you will. I generally wear a respirator when spraying indoors or outdoors due to familiarity of wearing one when working in certain areas of ships. Generally you can pick up a decent mask and replacement filters for the cost of two cans on Plasti-Dip so if you plan on working with it, resins or other aerosols pretty frequently I'd say it's worth it to pick up a mask and save your lungs.

Better to be safe that sorry. indoors or out, wear protection.

i sprayed my Titanfall helmet with plastic dip and just wanted to throw in my 2 cents,

1: It Smells Great! maybe thats just me but still.
2: once it goes on, if you try to sand or edit it in any way, it will peel up similar to vinyl.
3: i suggest that you use it only for the inside of whatever you're using because paint doesn't stick well to it.

anyway thats my experience.

2: once it goes on, if you try to sand or edit it in any way, it will peel up similar to vinyl.
3: i suggest that you use it only for the inside of whatever you're using because paint doesn't stick well to it.

It makes sense that it peels up when sanded because that's it's intended purpose, to be a removable film coating for autobody use.

What sort of paint were you using that didn't take to the Plasti Dip? I'm genuinely curious because I've had fantastic results when painting over a primed surface that's been dipped.

The MSDS for Plastidip says it still contains carcinogens, and is thinned with even more carcinogens. I would argue that if you can afford enough dip to seal a suit of armor, you can afford a $20-$30 dollar respirator on Amazon.

I don't remember the exact brand, I'm going to have to try again because I loved the way it looked and felt. Smoothed out the whole thing almost immediately. Anyway, I'll figure out the type I used. Which kind did you use?

Even outside i would suggest a respirator... this stuff is still toxic and should'nt reach your lounges. It might be expensive, but compared to the rest of this hobby...? and you can use it for a looooong time... so i think its worth an investment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back