Portal 2 Object Head Cosplay (?)

tplaten2

Hello guys! I haven’t been on in a while since the halo 3 mjolnir armor I finished during the beginning of quarantine is currently being held by one of my friends during the summer, so I haven’t been able to start painting :(

however, I am thinking of starting up another cosplay while back home/ quarantining! I want to attempt making a object head Wheatley cosplay from Portal 2, since I’m currently playing through the games with some friends right now. Because it’s nearly impossible to find a pepakura unfolding of his model, however, I am currently trying to decide what the best base to use for the head would be.

I found styrofoam half-orbs at Michaels and they look like a good base, however I have never used styrofoam as a base and I am wary of trying to start without being able to find a way to make a base that is seamlessly round. If anyone has worked with styrofoam/ has any tips on how I could replicate Wheatley with any other materials, I would love the advice!

Attachments

PlanetAlexander

Heck yea! Love the Portal (and Half Life) series. My first cosplay was actually the Space Core, in which the base of it was made from a paper lantern, covered in paper mache. I have got one tip for working with styrofoam; DON'T SPRAYPAINT IT! - until you've tested it on scrap pieces first. You may already know this, but lots of spray paints melt styrofoam.

If I was to make another core, I would make it from EVA foam. Since from what you said there aren't any templates (which really surprises me), I would personally 3D model the exterior and turn that into a pattern, then just wing the inside. Minus details, the outside should be fairly easy to model.

I saw this puppet build years ago and fell in love, perhaps you could find something useful here? Haven't read it in a long while though.

tplaten2

Heck yea! Love the Portal (and Half Life) series. My first cosplay was actually the Space Core, in which the base of it was made from a paper lantern, covered in paper mache. I have got one tip for working with styrofoam; DON'T SPRAYPAINT IT! - until you've tested it on scrap pieces first. You may already know this, but lots of spray paints melt styrofoam.

If I was to make another core, I would make it from EVA foam. Since from what you said there aren't any templates (which really surprises me), I would personally 3D model the exterior and turn that into a pattern, then just wing the inside. Minus details, the outside should be fairly easy to model.

I saw this puppet build years ago and fell in love, perhaps you could find something useful here? Haven't read it in a long while though.
Oooh ok! I currently don’t have access to a PC since my pepakura access was through a friend’s pc in college, so I’ll see if there’s any way I could make my own 3D model with a program that can run on Mac! And epic, I’ll give that a look! Thank you!

Coreforge

For painting the styrofoam, covering it in a few layers of PVA glue should help seal it so solvents don't attack it as much. It worked for glueing it with contact cement anyways. For a 3d modeling program, blender should work.