Portal 2 Object Head Cosplay (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tplaten2

Hello guys! I haven’t been on in a while since the halo 3 mjolnir armor I finished during the beginning of quarantine is currently being held by one of my friends during the summer, so I haven’t been able to start painting :(

however, I am thinking of starting up another cosplay while back home/ quarantining! I want to attempt making a object head Wheatley cosplay from Portal 2, since I’m currently playing through the games with some friends right now. Because it’s nearly impossible to find a pepakura unfolding of his model, however, I am currently trying to decide what the best base to use for the head would be.

I found styrofoam half-orbs at Michaels and they look like a good base, however I have never used styrofoam as a base and I am wary of trying to start without being able to find a way to make a base that is seamlessly round. If anyone has worked with styrofoam/ has any tips on how I could replicate Wheatley with any other materials, I would love the advice!

Attachments

• 287BB6B1-6471-42FE-AB35-EE2A5D1DDE79.gif
    287BB6B1-6471-42FE-AB35-EE2A5D1DDE79.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 941
  • 14B7C09D-D035-4D59-B3D9-5CA3BD25C538.jpeg
    14B7C09D-D035-4D59-B3D9-5CA3BD25C538.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,351
  • 854C93EA-559D-4C16-9935-F902FC49F17D.jpeg
    854C93EA-559D-4C16-9935-F902FC49F17D.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 406
Heck yea! Love the Portal (and Half Life) series. My first cosplay was actually the Space Core, in which the base of it was made from a paper lantern, covered in paper mache. I have got one tip for working with styrofoam; DON'T SPRAYPAINT IT! - until you've tested it on scrap pieces first. You may already know this, but lots of spray paints melt styrofoam.

If I was to make another core, I would make it from EVA foam. Since from what you said there aren't any templates (which really surprises me), I would personally 3D model the exterior and turn that into a pattern, then just wing the inside. Minus details, the outside should be fairly easy to model.

I saw this puppet build years ago and fell in love, perhaps you could find something useful here? Haven't read it in a long while though.

Heck yea! Love the Portal (and Half Life) series. My first cosplay was actually the Space Core, in which the base of it was made from a paper lantern, covered in paper mache. I have got one tip for working with styrofoam; DON'T SPRAYPAINT IT! - until you've tested it on scrap pieces first. You may already know this, but lots of spray paints melt styrofoam.

If I was to make another core, I would make it from EVA foam. Since from what you said there aren't any templates (which really surprises me), I would personally 3D model the exterior and turn that into a pattern, then just wing the inside. Minus details, the outside should be fairly easy to model.

I saw this puppet build years ago and fell in love, perhaps you could find something useful here? Haven't read it in a long while though.
Oooh ok! I currently don’t have access to a PC since my pepakura access was through a friend’s pc in college, so I’ll see if there’s any way I could make my own 3D model with a program that can run on Mac! And epic, I’ll give that a look! Thank you!

For painting the styrofoam, covering it in a few layers of PVA glue should help seal it so solvents don't attack it as much. It worked for glueing it with contact cement anyways. For a 3d modeling program, blender should work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back