Possible alternative to LED lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

W1D0MAK3R

I was walkin through our local Lowes store today when I found these replacement krypton bulbs for a flashlight, I couldnt help wonder what else they could be used for. The package says they high intensity beams and are for use with 2 AA batteries so I though this could be a cheaper alternative. They are smaller then the standard super bright white LED and also a fraction of the cost, $1.97 for a pack of two, where the LED are around 5.00 for only one... I dunno if you need a resistor for these like the LED does but I'm almost sure that maglights dont even use resistors. That would make these a much cheaper alternative being that you only have to pay maybe 5.00 for the 4 lights needed for a helmet where you will pay over 20.00 for LED's and resistors...

heres the link, note that these may not be available in all areas...
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=prod...&lpage=none

Thanks for the find. It's a good alternative but I've seen flashlights with 3 LEDs in them at the dollar store.

Reclaimer said:
Thanks for the find. It's a good alternative but I've seen flashlights with 3 LEDs in them at the dollar store.
horay for salvaging parts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reclaimer said:

i've got that beat. the fleamarket by my house sells led flashlight with 15 LEDs for only $2, and they're high intensity white.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best thing to do is run down to radio shack and grab a few 2600 MCD Blue LEDs. I have personally used them. now they do come with a nice price tag of about $4.50 piece (Roughly $18 for all four) But are super bright and last a very long time. Also in my experience (Idiot Move I Know) Dont hook a 9 volt staight up to one of them. When LEDs burn out they get hot and smell really really bad.

LEDs are cheap and reliable. Those are the major reasons why they're used so often. Krypton bulbs burn out a lot faster than LEDs.

I used 12MM supe bright green 1.2 volt LED's in my vader belt boxes. You want them to light up, not give your position away, or blind a fan right?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back