Primer to smooth some surfaces?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Primer smooth out some of the uneven surfaces.
After the use of bondo? and sanding.

Sorry if there is some misplelling and wrong grammar... it's 1.20AM im barely awake

-Finnish Spartan

as in paint??

a primer is just a base color usually white for light shades and black for dark shades used as a base coat when painting to get even coloration and to get a binding layer in between surfaces and finish colors. its the same consistency of normal paint ,bondo and plaster are specifically made for getting even surfaces. if you want it smooth you need to get it smooth before painting.

DKK said:
as in paint??

a primer is just a base color usually white for light shades and black for dark shades used as a base coat when painting to get even coloration and to get a binding layer in between surfaces and finish colors. its the same consistency of normal paint bondo and plaster are specifically made for getting even surfaces.

except......... well, except for filling primers. look for urethane primers, they fill small imperfections a lot better. filling primers are a lot thicker than paint, and are made precisely for that purpose. granted, its not going to fill a bumpy piece of fiberglass, but it will fill small air bubble spots and scratches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, and no. The Dupli-Color Filler Primer that I got says it's not recommended for anything deeper than 1/16"...That's pretty small. Maybe use Metal Glaze or Fiberglass Jelly? Spase has used the glaze while Doc Bytes has used the jelly, you might ask them.

Optimusaint is right you can use filling primers to help even small imperfections out. Dark Rogue is right as well anything bigger than 1/16 of an inch is HUGE. Like I told you in your other thread Finnish Spartan you have a lot of sanding time in front of you.

Filling primers will only help so much in your project, you will still have to go back and sand many areas over again because when you paint it with the primer more imperfections will show up to the naked eye.

I have done several motorcycle's over the years and I am speaking from personal experience. There is no easy way out, Glazes and fiberglass jelly help but guess what, you still have to sand them down after they harden to get a good smooth surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back