Problems with Resin drying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kylerocks2

I'm in the middle of making my second helmet using Pepakura, but I've run into a problem. During the resining stage, not all of the resin cured, so there are spots inside and out that are still sticky. I've tried applying more resin over these spots using more hardener than before, two additional times, but to no avail. Does anybody have any advice on how to salvage this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in the middle of making my second helmet using Pepakura, but I've run into a problem. During the resining stage, not all of the resin cured, so there are spots inside and out that are still sticky. I've tried applying more resin over these spots using more hardener than before, two additional times, but to no avail. Does anybody have any advice on how to salvage this?
Hey there, two ways that I know of is one, talcum powder which absorbs the stickiness, or two which is probably better for hardening is adding a large heat source like a heat gun or fan heater as sometimes the catalyst may be old or a bad batch so the heaters should activate the resin, hope it helps! :)

Pretty common problem, and as DemonButler said: talc or heat. It's probably worth mentioning that you should be working with resin in warmer temperatures anyway, and keeping your items in a warm, well-ventilated area to allow the resin the best chance to fully cure.

Also try to increase the hardener ratio if you're still having problems - chances are, you may be using a ratio that's too low in hardener.

Are you mixing it properly as well? If the mixture doesn't get mix right you can end up with issues like that.

Hi, so I'm kid of new to this paper craft thing, and i'm having a similar issue where my layer of resin (the first one on the outside) is still tacky its been a couple of hours and i know its supposed to cure in like 25m to 40m according to instructions, at first I was afraid of the mixture because my hardener came in a "toothpaste" like tube and its supposed to be a 2% mix (polyester resin), since its a "small" overwatch reaper mask i made a small batch and even then by the time i managed to finish (had to rush at the end) the resin in my cup was like jelly, and after like 20m more it was fully cured the layer on the helmet tough is still tacky after a couple of hours, so from what i understand the solutions are either another layer on top and baby powder, but my question is, is this normal? is it the type of resin? did I mess up the mixture? I don't thing so because the one in the cup cured....

Sorry for the bad English its not my first language...

Hi, so I'm kid of new to this paper craft thing, and i'm having a similar issue where my layer of resin (the first one on the outside) is still tacky its been a couple of hours and i know its supposed to cure in like 25m to 40m according to instructions, at first I was afraid of the mixture because my hardener came in a "toothpaste" like tube and its supposed to be a 2% mix (polyester resin), since its a "small" overwatch reaper mask i made a small batch and even then by the time i managed to finish (had to rush at the end) the resin in my cup was like jelly, and after like 20m more it was fully cured the layer on the helmet tough is still tacky after a couple of hours, so from what i understand the solutions are either another layer on top and baby powder, but my question is, is this normal? is it the type of resin? did I mess up the mixture? I don't thing so because the one in the cup cured....

Sorry for the bad English its not my first language...

Give it time. It's only couple of hours.
It can take time even few days for the resin to fully cure.

I ran into the same problem when I was making my helmet and so I tried leavening 24 hours to dry but it didn't work because it only drys with an activator so I just had to paint a couple of really thick layers on top and hope that it dried

Give it time. It's only couple of hours.
It can take time even few days for the resin to fully cure.

OK thanks, it does seem to be slowly getting better so I'll give it some time, I also assume that this is only because its the first "isolation" layers once it actually has the fiberglass cloth in it I assume it cures faster... we will see, to be honest its my first project and I tend to be quite the perfectionist so I doubt this one will live up to my standards =)

Thanks for the quick answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back