Project help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nath

Hi I'm Nath, I'm doing a National Diploma in Engineering. In this course you have to do a project and I have chosen to make a prototype design, mark VI helmet themed paintball mask out of foam. I need to have this completed within 6-8 weeks can you provide any help or guidance?

Of course we can! Firstly, i wouldn't recommend Foam helmets for paint ball.....I would recommend the normal Resin->Fiberglass->Rondo(optional but for extra strength for paintball)->Bonbo and it wouldn't take long. My Mandolorian Helmet took me 3 days to make from pep and harden. Worked well but you have to be patient. For someone new, I would recommend using up all what you can do in the 6-8 weeks.

Good luck!! PICKSHURS!!!(If you have em or at least when you start :p)

Hi I'm Nath, I'm doing a National Diploma in Engineering. In this course you have to do a project and I have chosen to make a prototype design, mark VI helmet themed paintball mask out of foam. I need to have this completed within 6-8 weeks can you provide any help or guidance?

This will get you started both with the forum and with the general methods used here. However, you are probably not going to find a lot of support for building protective gear, because that can easily get quite dangerous.

Thanks guys, this is only a prototype which is why I said about making it out of just foam. I did look up stronger materials to try and make the real thing, but they were a bit too expensive and my college doesn't have either the equipment for the software to draw and then cut out the shape. I thought that at least with foam it wouldn't be as hard to cut out, and there is a machine that can do it. But if you say that it wouldn't be too hard to make the real thing then I'll look into other options and methods. Thanks for the help so far if you have anything else please keep the advice coming.

I've had a look at what you've made and its pretty incredible. My project is only a prototype so and isn't going to need to be strong enough to be hit by a paintball, I really just need to make it and if it can look anywhere near as good as yours I'm happy.

my college doesn't have either the equipment for the software to draw and then cut out the shape

You're saying that your college doesn't have a computer and a printer?

I think you misunderstood what Pep is. You use a free program called pepakura designer and open a pre-made model, scale it and print it out on card stock. Then all you do is cut and assemble. Rather simple. On a side note, iv never seen a foam helmet turn out good because they are so detailed. its hard to get foam to take to details and sharp edges. Its you grade though, so you go do this as you see fit. We can answer questions as you have them.

Ah right got ya. Ok well I'll download pepakura and see if I can get the better materials. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back