Proportionate Sizing/scaling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arbelisk said:
I came across this in the Official Scaling Thread and decided to give it a try.

Some of the math results I'm getting do not seem right at all to me. Here's what I got with the chestpiece before adding the extra mm for padding purposes.

My Height= 5'11"/71 inches/180cm

180/4.4= 40.977, round that to 41

41cm converted to 410mm and input that into the height scaleing.

Here's what the full scaleing comes to...

Height: 410

Width: 374

Depth: 376

Scale: 24.83553

Looking at that, 374mm is 14 inches. Fully around I have a 43 inch chest and is 18 inches wide. So to me these numbers seem like it'd make the chestpiece too small to leave any breathing room let alone decent movement while wearing it. I did these calculations using a low detailed model, but plan on using FS's HD model for my final piece. Any help on this would be appreciated!

Keep in mind that nobody likes zombies, so be careful on the necro-posting, as it could get you into trouble.

Addressing your issue, though, I plugged in the height of 410 on FlyingSquirl's HD torso, and these are the numbers I got:

H: 410

W: 383

D: 392

It's a difference of centimeters, but it can make a difference. Are you using that model or some other - like the torso size tester? I ask because the size tester doesn't have the correct width and depth proportions - or at least not the same ones as the HD piece - and that can throw things off.

Another thing to consider is the the Proportionate Ratio Equation/Formula is not the end-all of scaling. It will do a good job of getting you really close, but it won't be perfect unless your body is proportioned the same as Master Chief... and virtually nobody has that luxury. One particular thing to notice is that MC's chest is rather small in proportion to the rest of his body. I would recommend finding the correct height for the piece and see if that works for you (measure from where your elbow meets your side to the bottom of your ear). If that isn't working, find your personal controlling dimension - which may be the width. You may have to measure the width of your chest and use that as the input dimension.

The main thing to take away is this: everyone's body is proportioned slightly differently. Some people are fat, while some are skinny. Others have long legs and short torsos, while others have long torsos and little legs. People are just made differently, and NO FORMULA OR SCALING NUMBER will ever land you a perfect piece unless you're proportioned the same way as the person it's based on. If you want to make sure something fits YOU, you have to measure based off of points on YOUR body. So go ahead and measure either the vertical distance I mentioned, and if that won't work measure the horizontal distance. If you aren't already planning on making a size tester piece, please do so. It will save you numerous headaches.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree. i built a low-def suit and the proportions are different than the hi-def models. the best way to probably find the correct measurements are just to measure your body part by part usind Abrant3's measuring method. plus like has been said, everyone's body is different. best bet is just to add or subtract a few mm if the measurement you find you feel is either too big or too small, but remember to figure in for padding and anything else

As some of you have noticed, this Scaling Method works only for HD Mark VI Spartan Armor. Another note, as I mentioned in the very first post, these proportions are matched primarily to Master Chief, and secondly, as an ideal fit for me. I'm 6'3", with an athletic frame, and kind of a smaller head, so some of these proportions may not fit someone with different dimensions.

If anything, check out my YouTube Tutorial on "Sizing". It tells you what to measure for each armor piece. And doing that will ultimately result in a better fit for YOU, which will result in a more proportionate suit, greater mobility, and comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back