Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GO 3000

What`s the point of molding/casting your pepakura model(Helmet, Chest, Shin,. . .) when you already resin it, bondo it ,detail it, paint it and pretty much all of it? can`t you just use that as the final product?What benefit you get from molding/casting it?

Sorry if this question was already answer it just i can`t seem to find any thread answering to this question.
Thank you for your time.

several reasons. reproducing the part is a big one. but another benefit it weight. if you think of all the wight added by rhondo, fiberglass, resin, and bondo to be able to get the strength and detail. after molding you can reproduce the piece with relative strength with 2 mm thick plastic and then add a thin layer of fiberglass to get full strength thus lighter and detailed. for example i molded several of my smaller parts like the hand piece to be able to reproduce it for my sons costume thus saving him time in his construction.

Thank you i guess i`ll just have to do a mold then cast it but what product should i use to cast the helmet and the other part of the Armor? i heard for the helmet the smoothcast 320 should do it.
Thank you for your time.

in all reality there is no requirement to mold anything. if you just plan to build a wearable kit go with the original. i wear my stuff as is and as far as molding i only do that for parts that i plan 2 make multiples of for no other reason than saving time. for example i use a peg and hole system for connecting my chest pieces as well as other parts, i made a mold of this setup to be able to make multiples quickly and easily. there are some here that will mold to reproduce for friends or trade. it is not required and does take practice and alot of money.. for a good usable mold of a helmet will cost between $50 and $100 to make the mold let alone the cost for the liquid plastic. i recommend sticking to using the original unless it is an epic piece which you want to reproduce. i have not reached this level that i would reproduce a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back