Questions about attaching 3d printed parts to an undersuit/harness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycow

I'm having a hard time finding any methods for attaching relatively heavy 3d printed parts to an undersuit or harness, So far I have thought of trying to pass nylon webbing through attachment parts on the insides of the armor pieces to make them adjustable. I'm already using neodymium magnets to hold the chest piece together because I sized it too small for my head, so the method would ideally also add support to keep the chest piece together. I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas for this because I'm struggling to think of any, and am pretty sure there's a more elegant solution that I'm overlooking.

Thanks!

have you tried using a hot glue gun to attach nylon strips with clips to secure them? (like the ones on backpacks) or hot gluing some elastic nylon bands to hold em in place? like the fabric ones used on wristcuffs or waists? thats what im going to try on a failed print, cause im in the same boat as you atm.

There are lots of ways you can go about this, and sometimes it can depend on what type of filament you're using. My biggest fear would be a piece of armour falling off and breaking/shattering, so making sure you have at least two methods to keep it attached to yourself seems like a good place to start. Perhaps more magnets melted, or glued into the underside of the armour and some in your undersuit to match up; plus gluing on the nylon straps and buckles like BrokenArrow suggested above. A good, high-temp glue gun would be incredibly helpful to you.

Good luck!

have you tried using a hot glue gun to attach nylon strips with clips to secure them? (like the ones on backpacks) or hot gluing some elastic nylon bands to hold em in place? like the fabric ones used on wristcuffs or waists? thats what im going to try on a failed print, cause im in the same boat as you atm.
The problem I might run into is that hot glue really doesn't like sticking to ABS, in past projects ABS just didn't bond to the hot glue. I should do some test pieces and see how much weight a hot glue joint can hold weight-wise.

There are lots of ways you can go about this, and sometimes it can depend on what type of filament you're using. My biggest fear would be a piece of armour falling off and breaking/shattering, so making sure you have at least two methods to keep it attached to yourself seems like a good place to start. Perhaps more magnets melted, or glued into the underside of the armour and some in your undersuit to match up; plus gluing on the nylon straps and buckles like BrokenArrow suggested above. A good, high-temp glue gun would be incredibly helpful to you.

Good luck!

Those are some good ideas, I might start testing different methods and posting them in this thread for public info, like different methods and their pros and cons, it may be a while though, as I'm currently living in a tiny apartment without much room for projects, especially ones that use liquids and adhesives, and sadly the only maker space in my city is out of my price range as a student.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back