Questions on straps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusader1080

Background: I had previously built my armor out of pepakura and epoxy resin in 2019 and previously used ribbons to secure the pieces over my outfit however, it seems to slip (shoulder armor) and went wonky (knee and shin armor) a lot during my time at the convention, hence I want to secure it using a system of straps and buckles, in addition to covering it with a layer of wood putty to smooth things out and for further detailing.

Question 1: I would like to know which to install first: the straps (along with the quick release buckles) or coating it with wood/car putty?
My gut feeling is that to install the straps first before coating it with the wood putty.

Question 2: How to install the straps onto the armor? Do you install the fabric strap on the armor or the plastic (3D Printed) buckles on the armor?

Thanks

I can answer question 2. typically people use nylon straps with their buckles because it is stronger. but maybe that isn't what you were asking.

I can answer question 2. typically people use nylon straps with their buckles because it is stronger. but maybe that isn't what you were asking.

I used to have trouble gluing the fabric part onto the armor since all the adhesives I used doesn't work properly with fabric hence I am asking if anyone here have any success in doing so.

My plan is to glue the quick release buckles onto the armor instead of gluing the fabric.

I know PerniciousDuke has a hard time gluing things to his pepakura suit. He used fiberglass though so all of his nylon straps are secured to the armor via little nuts and bolts. He uses two fenders washers on either side of the fabric for maximum support (also you need to heat the hole you make in the nylon so it doesn't fray).

If you are set on gluing things to the pepakura then 5-minute epoxy will not fail you.

I know PerniciousDuke has a hard time gluing things to his pepakura suit. He used fiberglass though so all of his nylon straps are secured to the armor via little nuts and bolts. He uses two fenders washers on either side of the fabric for maximum support (also you need to heat the hole you make in the nylon so it doesn't fray).

If you are set on gluing things to the pepakura then 5-minute epoxy will not fail you.
Seconding epoxy for a safe option if you don't want to drill through or add other loops for attaching fabric fasteners. Both my Daisy-023 suit and CplYapFlip's SPARTAN-III have nylon webbing epoxied to the 3D print and sandwiched under another rigid material (I believe it was PETG or aluminum sheeting).

Seconding epoxy for a safe option if you don't want to drill through or add other loops for attaching fabric fasteners. Both my Daisy-023 suit and CplYapFlip's SPARTAN-III have nylon webbing epoxied to the 3D print and sandwiched under another rigid material (I believe it was PETG or aluminum sheeting).

Sandwiching is good. Sandwiches are also good.

highly suggested. RandomRanger ExCeLLuR8
tenor.gif

Okay, I will try the epoxy method.

The drilling and riveting method is too destructive for my already fragile pepakura and epoxy armor. I also worried the rivets might crack the wood putty that I would put on top of the solid pepakura base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back