Random Idea/introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayers

Ive been lurking the Forums for awhile now, But now i think im ready to start to make my armor. I understand the whole pep thing but my question/idea is this:

if you take the pep armor and you remold parts of it with sculpy so its smooth and then bake it would it work?(of course i would still resin and what not over this)

and you can call me Jay

Well Jay, I've never worked with sculpey before, but it sounds like it would be easy to mold and cook to harden. Maybe try it and let us know how it worked out. Good luck with that. By the way, I'm David

Col. J.Ayers said:
Ive been lurking the Forums for awhile now, But now i think im ready to start to make my armor. I understand the whole pep thing but my question/idea is this:

if you take the pep armor and you remold parts of it with sculpy so its smooth and then bake it would it work?(of course i would still resin and what not over this)

and you can call me Jay

Hi Jay welcome to the board.

Ok I have worked a lot with sculpey and I don't think this is a good idea. First off you would need a large oven for the bigger pieces. Secondly the temp to cure it is 275 degrees per 6mm or quarter of an inch thickness. So at a minimum you will have that pep piece in an oven for 15 minutes. The paper in that high temp, I would think the risk of a fire would be high.

lastly the cost. Sculpey is expensive, I usually wait for it to go on sale before I buy. To get enough to do a helmet would be much more expensive than body filler. I am not saying that sculpey cant be used in a build. Its great for small things, detail work. I plan on using some to make my hand plates. Sculpey is like plastic when cured and can take a fair amount of abuse.

Here is my sculpey thread I posted on the site take a look.

Sculpey & Mold making

Here is my MA5k Build that I used sculpey to make some of the detail parts.

MA5K

The best advice I can offer is this. Experiment but do it safely. The last thing you want to do is have a fire stink up your house. If you have any other questions just PM me, if I can help I will.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys

as for the big oven thing: i have my moms permission to use the whole oven at certain times so thats not the problem and the only reason i ask this is because i feel the pep armor isnt smooth enough for my liking and i couldnt start out without a frame work so i was gonna use the pep as a frame and i have tons of fire prevention stuff laying around the kitchen (we used to be inspected) so worse comes to worse a fire starts but the price thing is the only thing setting me back as of now......

Good luck Jay.

Keep us posted, I would like to see how this works. Oh one thing I forgot to add. It is possible to cure sculpey at half temp, just extend the time by double. Just be careful. Post pics of your work, really want to see if this turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back