Re-purposing old armor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benton188

RCO
Member DIN
S188
Alright, so with the completion of the Ghost getting closer and closer I wanted to take an older suit I have and re-purpose it to be Doc from RvB. Currently, the arms and helmet will need to be replaced, as it's not the right armor set for the MK VI, plus the arms are fiberglass and I'd like them to be foam instead. I'm hoping to just spray a layer or two of Plasti-dip over top the existing paint, which is spray paint, but I'm not sure if that's going to work the way I hope. If anyone out there can verify putting a layer of Plasti-dip over top of spray painted armor is a good idea, could you let me know? Here's the old suit I'll be using:
11109673_1088407147839781_1782815805334226991_o.jpg

Why not just paint over what’s already there? I thought the plasti dip was just used to seal the foam for paint assuming the armor is foam. Personally I would just throw on a coat of silver as a base and go from there. But I’m lazy lol

Last edited:
Why not just paint over what’s already there? I thought the plasti dip was just used to seal the foam for paint assuming the armor is foam. Personally I would just throw on a coat of silver as a base and go from there. But I’m lazy lol
I've since switched over to hand painting all my armor instead of spray painting. The paint doesn't crack as bad, and I can get more control over details and designs. I'm hoping putting Plasti-dip over top of the paint will help prevent further cracking and give me a good base to paint on.

Would that not crack as well? I've been using acrylic paints and it doesn't crack, then foam will give out first before the paint does.

It'd still crack if the undercoats are left on. Layering up will just hide your previous work while losing detail, stripping off paint is the best option really but I've never done that on EVA before, only resin or PLA/ABS.

If you use a flexible latex or neoprene primer and paints they'll bend with the foam but EVA only bends so far before wrinkling and creasing so ultimately it's just a material issue that can be lessened with fancy tools but never fully eliminated.

Upon further looking at my old suit and seeing that some pieces would need to be sized a little better, i've decided to just build the entire suit new. Thank you everyone for your input, and I may take one of the old pieces and spray it just to see what the outcome would be if you put a layer of Plasti-dip over spray painted armor.

I may take one of the old pieces and spray it just to see what the outcome would be if you put a layer of Plasti-dip over spray painted armor.

Wait... THIS SOUNDS LIKE SCIENCE! I'm interested in seeing the results good sir. If you have some pieces that you don't care about so much and are willing to bend and twist after the recoat it'd be really interesting to see how the finish reacts and if it can be repaired with light heating.

Wait... THIS SOUNDS LIKE SCIENCE! I'm interested in seeing the results good sir. If you have some pieces that you don't care about so much and are willing to bend and twist after the recoat it'd be really interesting to see how the finish reacts and if it can be repaired with light heating.
Yeah I can do all sorts of experiments if you want. I'll be tossing away the chestpiece and all the leg armor, all of which were previously coated in 1 layer of Plastidip, then spray painted with Rustoleum 2X coat paint.

If I'm never sure if paint will stick or not I clean it (lightly sand it if easy enough) and hit it with primer. You can also check for specific paints and primers that say "will bond to plastic, or will bond to metal."

Primer just sticks so well to stuff and stuff sticks to it, so it's like adding glue for paints. :)

I'm curious to see your flex tests as well even if you do just rebuild them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back