Recast Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leadingspartan

Well-Known Member
:whistle: Ok so i was wondering i have something that i really love its kinda like a piece of armor (halo) i was wondering if you guys thought it was cool if i recast it but not sell it i mean like i want to keep them all to myself. The piece isnt made by me but i found it on ebay. So do you think i should or just buy another one, once again i would not sell or give them away i would just recast them alot and glue them to the walls of my room. Oh and isnt a recast where you cast many pieces with like one mold? :whistle: Hope you guys like my new avatar lololol.


-Leadingspartan
 
Last edited by a moderator:

falcon NL

Well-Known Member
It would help if you got picture's, or a explanation what it is....

Please use some form of sentence structure, its not really easy to read...
 

SPARTAN II

Sr Member
First off LS, I do like the new avatar. Looks very 80's console game-ish, lol ;)

Second, it essentially doesn't matter if you mold/cast only one or one hundred of a piece. If it's someone else's work, and you've taken it and fabricated your own mold and produced something from it, it's still recasting. Plain and simple.

As mentioned in another thread recently, people's take on the whole recasting issue varies. Some don't have a problem with it so long as it's a fact that the person is only making castings for thier own purposes (ie. own MJOLNIR armor, decorate one's room), whereas others don't think a person should mold/recast someone else's work for any reason.

Speaking for myself, I haven't really decided on which stance I agree with, although I know I would never do so even if it was just for my use...
 

Silverzippo93

Well-Known Member
It's only Ok if you get permission from the perosn who made the original.

What's the item anyway? The only things on there now are link's pistols and a helmet.
 

Leadingspartan

Well-Known Member
No sense answer.

falcon NL said:
It would help if you got picture's, or a explanation what it is....

Please use some form of sentence structure, its not really easy to read...


Good Answer
SPARTAN II said:
First off LS, I do like the new avatar. Looks very 80's console game-ish, lol ;)

Second, it essentially doesn't matter if you mold/cast only one or one hundred of a piece. If it's someone else's work, and you've taken it and fabricated your own mold and produced something from it, it's still recasting. Plain and simple.

As mentioned in another thread recently, people's take on the whole recasting issue varies. Some don't have a problem with it so long as it's a fact that the person is only making castings for thier own purposes (ie. own MJOLNIR armor, decorate one's room), whereas others don't think a person should mold/recast someone else's work for any reason.

Speaking for myself, I haven't really decided on which stance I agree with, although I know I would never do so even if it was just for my use...





Best Answer ever acually answered the question.
Silverzippo93 said:
It's only Ok if you get permission from the perosn who made the original.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

falcon NL

Well-Known Member
Leadingspartan said:
oh and im talking about a blue westerfield studios helmet. Its my first one so its good quality for me.


Adam said:
I don't think westerfield would appreciate that.

And thats why i asked what it was...
If it was only a belt buckle it wouldn't be a problem , but a helmet is a completely differed thing.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

GruntOfAction

Well-Known Member
If I were you I'd find something simmular in size (like wood or something) then carve it into the general shape. Then put as much detail into that as you want. Vola, you have a mold.
 

DanBakerOnline

New Member
Of course, technically, recasting is really no different than burning backup copies of your favorite DVDs or CDs. No profit is being made, and when it's all said and done, we're talking about a Microsoft licensed product, so none of these designs actually BELONG to any of us anyway. If it got out, all you'd accomplish is to piss a few local members off, but except from banning you from the forums, there's really nothing any of us can do to prevent recasts of any sort.

We deal with this a LOT in the R2 Builders Club and the 501st Legion, and it really comes down to individual intent. Recasting cast is the same as casting multiples of any found item. Sure, you could go out and buy ten more of a certain piece, but that's the beauty of home resin casting.

As long as credit is given where credit is due, imitation is, after all, the highest form of praise. I know that opinion makes me out to be the black sheep, but it's the truth. In the end, it comes down to "Don't Tell and Don't Sell."

Dan
 

Leadingspartan

Well-Known Member
Andrew L said:
Every body just suck it up and read Dan's previouspost. You all think your armor is just the best and you'd kill someone if they recast it but again we are sstill ALL copying a creation of Microsoft/Bungie Corporation. I do feel like recasting but because of those pain in the ass molds. But seriously what is ANYONE gunna do if you recast Westerfields armor. Are they gunna sew him? NO. So who cares. Holy crap.
Dan--"Dont' Tell and DON'T Sell"
No need to bump Andrew i would love to see this thread die so if anyon3 could kind1y lock it for me thanks i see future arguements in this thread...
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sigma LS

Sr Member
Westerfield's is based off the statue but is scratch built so it is their work.

Now copying a set of armor recasted from a statue, I think that is the only one that could be done as there is no personal fanmade art in it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top