Regarding Stormtrooper Armor Commissions Pricing

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamikazePigeon

Hi All!

I have thought about making stormtrooper armor from the Original Star Wars Trilogy and then casting (or vacuum-forming) the parts and selling them Via Commissions. The only problem is, I have no Idea how I would price each commission. Would I rice them based off of the materials I used to make it? The cost of shipping the pieces to the customer? Should I charge a little bit more if I give the option of painting special designs (i.e. shock trooper, commander, shadow stormtrooper, etc.) for them? I am totally lost on this kind of thing, mostly because this is the first time I’ve thought about this.

Please help!

KamikazePigeon

Search around, see what other storm trooper kits cost, and go from there. Head over to the 501st (star wars costuming group) and make sure your finished product is up to their standards. If it isn't exactly screen accurate like other kits out there, then the hardcore costumers that want to be a part of the 501st won't purchase your kit. Showing examples of your work will be the most important aspect. No one will give someone money for a product that doesn't exist yet, and the creator doesn't have any previous work to showcase.

All of your other questions are VERY basic business questions. You base your cost off of your time, materials used, and any custom add ons or paint. Shipping is something you factor in depending on your customer.

There isn't much point in mass producing kits unless you are making decent money off of them. Personally, when doing small contract jobs in my work life, I charge a minimum of $25 an hour for work that does not require the finesse of costume and prop making. That is why I don't do commissions for costumes or props, as most of my items are one off units, and would cost far too much to be worth my time and someone else's money.

I don't want to discourage you by any means, but you HAVE to make your Star Wars parts 100% screen-accurate. And I mean that, fully screen accurate.
Star Wars community is VERY strict about that and there is a reason why they take so much time and money for EVERY SINGLE DETAIL to match.
Anovos kits are the most popular now, they cost about 700$+ and are the best thing now as noone else has accomplished to get as level of detail.

If you feel you can do that, go and make it, by any means! I'm just saying, because SW peeps have no problems paying more for more screen-accurate as new people want to get into 501st and the 501st members want as screen accurate as possible.

I can't say about the price, only that Anovos is selling for 700$ just the standard Imperial Stormie. There were some lower-quality with less vacuumed details kits, but all I've always seen was 500-700$.

If you wanted to sell even kits - you'd have to specify WHAT you're providing there. If these would be full kits - will all parts for the costume: armor parts, undersuit, the system that would hold everything together, etc.
All kits I've seen by now - they have been massive when it came to amount of paints... so I wish you luck, because it might not be easy, but I hope it'll be worth it, if you choose to do it.

However, like FlyinPhil said you'd better ask it around 501st or even RPF or a costuming focused SW community.

I agree with what has been said above. Your kit will have to be pretty much perfect. Other than Anovos (which is officially licensed) the private kits being sold are based off forms made from original armour pieces (or copies).

Fangs may be able to share some thoughts as she is very involved in Star Wars costuming. Also, you may want to ask questions of the 501st and whitearmour.net as they are the real experts in this area.

"I don't know what's weirder, that you're fighting a stuffed animal, or that you seem to be losing" - Suzie

I really appreciate all of your advice, I found it very helpful. The only thing is, it's all about making a kit (which is fine and all) but that really isn't what I was intending to do.

I took a look at the Avonos Stormtrooper Armor Kit and was honestly stunned about how good it looked (because I'd never seen it before) and thought to myself about how I would never get that close to detail. My initial question was really about how I would price an already constructed suit of armor, say for a friend. How would I go about pricing that (including custom paints, strapping, weathering, accessories, etc.)?

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back