Resin made me sick! going to see the doctor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinnishSpartan

Okay guys, i was just resining My beautiful AR, as usual with Resin i'm always using a respirator and safety googles and gloves. (i was 3M's NIOSH approved respirator)
I had even recently changed the respirator Muffles.
But this time something unnuasual happened! i became very sick. Right now i'm vomiting i have a lunging pain in my stomach i feel dizzy and and have an headache.

Do you guys know what i can do? I got a doctors appointement in 3 hours but is there anything else i can do?

-Fin(n)ish

EDIT: I'm having most of these symptons: http://www.drugs.com/enc/plastic-casting-r...-poisoning.html

Do what it says, Get the name of the product, and all that...
And don't wait 3 hours. There is emergency help for these kind of things.

How are you feeling now? I hope you're okay man. Guess the thing to do would be to check the respirator to make sure the cartridges were attached well or loose. But that's after you get everything all worked out. Feel better dude. Hopefully it was some sorta food poisoning or stomach virus.

LukeTrocity said:
Were you working in a well ventilated area?

Okay i'm back from the doctors. They did a checkout on my heart lungs blood pressure even checked my stomach with a camera (...No you dont want to see the video) etc.
they told me that resin poisoning can be very dangerous and the respirator should always be checked (as i did) they diagnosed that i had breathed alot of fumes (appearantly the respirator had not worked properly. They said that the respirator might have actually inhaled the fumes but not exhaled them meaning that i was breathing concentrated resin fumes.

The lunging pain in my stomach (wich has gotten better) was caused because the resin fumes where inhaled to my stomach and lungs and they where appearently literally burning my intesticies so my skin was being eaten inside :(
the dizzyness was mainly caused by the lack of oxygen replaced by the resin fumes.

they told me that i will still probably vomit for another 30 hours before it stops. :( :cry:
the doctor told me that there is nothing they can actually do about this and i should just stay home and rest.

i could go on.... and on and on... but i'm going to try to sleep now as the doctor told me... :cautious:

(and to answer someones question, i was working outside in the sun...)
The doctor also told me that 3M has to pay me for the physical damage to my body for a faulty respirator... atleast some good news for me...

I hope i get better and i wish you guys dont have to experience this...

-Fin(n)ish

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you get better man. Resin Fume Poisoning is real serious business. But atleast you get some good out of all this misery :)
Hope you get up on your feet soon!

But shouldn't they have given you atleast some sleeping pills?

I'd have the doctors check your lungs, if they are becoming leather from resin fumes, you need to just stop using it.

You need to post all of the things that have happened to you over on the
The Complete Respirator and Safety Guide
It will show everybody the dangers of this stuff.
Hopefully some good will come of this by people seeing what can happen to them if they don't use there heat.
wish you good health Finnish Spartan.
Some soup might help. Or is that just for colds?

theshagsterofgames said:
You need to post all of the things that have happened to you over on the
The Complete Respirator and Safety Guide
It will show everybody the dangers of this stuff.
Hopefully some good will come of this by people seeing what can happen to them if they don't use there heat.
wish you good health Finnish Spartan.
Some soup might help. Or is that just for colds?

I actually made a topic with "horror stories" on what people had experienced and so on...

-Fin(n)ish

EDIT: eating actually hurts because the resin fumes burned my insides out!
EDIT: AoBfrost, they checked my lungs but they said that they where okay excluding some burns from the resin fumes

Well I'm glad that you will be getting better, but that sucks that it happened in the first place.

:D When my friend was really young he was cold so his parents got him a hot water bottle (one of the rubber ones that you pour hot water into), and he took it and it suddenly exploded boiling water all over him. As the story goes he apparently got $5000 from the company :p

What were the horror stories about?

Dayum... sorry to hear that, Finnish Spartan. It's good to know you'll be alright after a little rest and what not. Take it easy, dude, and be careful with that resin... :cool:

Any chance you istalled the filter cartridges backwards in your respirator? I've heard of people doing that and not realizing til later. Still I'm not sure how you wouldn't notice the resin fumes...?

Well, in any case, rest up and feel better.

Darkfire said:
Well I'm glad that you will be getting better, but that sucks that it happened in the first place.

:D When my friend was really young he was cold so his parents got him a hot water bottle (one of the rubber ones that you pour hot water into), and he took it and it suddenly exploded boiling water all over him. As the story goes he apparently got $5000 from the company :p

What were the horror stories about?

You performed a Respirator safety test (Exhale with mouth over exhaust vent and inhale with hands over intake Cartridge to check for seal)? As a safety officer for the company I work for, a fit test is required to be done once a year. Basically we make sure the guys is semi-clean shaven and then we put the respirator on and introduce a smelly substance. We expose the user for a certain amount of time to see if he/she can smell the fumes.

This may have been posted before, but I don't think life safety is a bad thing to post twice.

Sean Bradley said:
Any chance you istalled the filter cartridges backwards in your respirator? I've heard of people doing that and not realizing til later. Still I'm not sure how you wouldn't notice the resin fumes...?

Well, in any case, rest up and feel better.

No i installed the cartridges properly, i'm really careful about my safety... really.
-Fin(n)ish

EDIT: Sean i dont know how i didnt notice that myself either, i didnt smell anything but i still got effected by it, and as the doctor told me my injuries are caused by the resin.
(it might be because the respirator itself smells a little wierd so i probably didnt smell the fumes...)

Heavy Story, that must heart like a Beat, do what the Doc says and dont think about the AR, then it should get faster than 30 Hours.

I think your Muffles where already damaged or something wasnt right with the Resin.

But its strange anyway, i work with a normal Respirator with integrated unchangeable Filters in a "Heatchamber" (Bike Garage made out of Wood and Plastic, when the Sun shines on that it can get very hot in there, yesterday i got about 30-40°C in there, very good for the Resin, i close it and 30min to 45min later its hard) and i dont feel anything, okay, the Heat in that Chamber combined with the Resin Smell bring out a little Headache, but thats all and not more o_O

But i think i should such a Mask too as you have, or better another one, who knows what one works correct...

BTW: Did you contact Dr. House? Maybe he has an other Diagonsis and you eatet something wrong? ;)

Get well soon, the AR waits for you! :cool:

Sisko4 said:
Heavy Story, that must heart like a Beat, do what the Doc says and dont think about the AR, then it should get faster than 30 Hours.

I think your Muffles where already damaged or something wasnt right with the Resin.

But its strange anyway, i work with a normal Respirator with integrated unchangeable Filters in a "Heatchamber" (Bike Garage made out of Wood and Plastic, when the Sun shines on that it can get very hot in there, yesterday i got about 30-40°C in there, very good for the Resin, i close it and 30min to 45min later its hard) and i dont feel anything, okay, the Heat in that Chamber combined with the Resin Smell bring out a little Headache, but thats all and not more o_O

But i think i should such a Mask too as you have, or better another one, who knows what one works correct...
BTW: Did you contact Dr. House? Maybe he has an other Diagonsis and you eatet something wrong? ;)

Get well soon, the AR waits for you! :cool:

lol... i didnt contact dr. house but eating stuff wont get you a headache and make you feel dizzy (usually)
Also some people react differently to different things, some people might even die from a small drop of resin on their skin (allergic reaction)

Also the funny thing was (well not funny at all) the doctor asked if i had tried to commit suicide, because i was breathing concentrated resin fumes. (because the mask didnt allow me to exhale)

-Fin(n)ish

I called House for you, he said:

pick-lupus.jpg

Xavier said:
stomach it! lol i never use a respirator for resin, but i do do it outside.

U are crazy! i'm not sure if i will ever use resin again! (lol i will actually).
But i was doing it outside and i was wearing a respirator and safety goggles, and i still got sick!!
Please dont ruin your life! i mean please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Fin(dont, just dont)ish
Dont finish yourself!

EDIT: I'm changing my siggy and adding:
I add Fin(n)ish to the end of each of my posts because:...
F: Xavier will Finish his life with resin fumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back