Resin not curing help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

surename

Jr Member
Okay everyone I have royally messed up, I have mixed my resin wrong twice, I could have swore an ounce was bigger than that haha.... ode to my laughing sarcasm. I don't know what to do, there are two coats of uncured resin on this thing. Should I add a third of propperly mixed resin or do any of you have any better suggestions?

tl;dr I didn't mix my resin right twice and now there are two coats of uncured resin, what do I do?

measure out 1 ounce of resin and add about 20-25 drops of hardener to mix it hot. apply to sections at a time,wait and see if the overload of hardener will cause the rest of the resin to cure. Go to walmart and get a mixing cup in the paint section. Theyre great for mixing resin and measuring your batches

Sections at a time? Should I not do the whole thing at once? If it doesn't cure from the insane ammount of resin that is on it then what should I do? I feel so stupid for not measuring correctly.

its a learning process dont feel bad. What is it exactly youre resining and I think you should use alot of hardener mixed with small amounts of resin mixed well. Coat it on and if you have a heat lamp use that on those sections. It will probably warp but after you glass it you can fix that with bondo.

I have suffered a similar "doh". It takes time but what I have done is to put the piece in a dry area with a heat lamp aimed at it. It takes several days but I have dried resin in this fashion.

I don't have a heat lamp :/ The condition of the resin is just sticky, it's not runny or slick it's just sticky and transfers to other things that touch it

well I look at it this way. I always get resin on my wrist past the gloves when I'm coating and if it dosent burn when it touches skin it dosent have enough hardener. Bad way to test your mixture I know but I can always tell. Umm well what could he use gliderx64? No heat lamp,my idea was to overload it with hardener and make it cure fast...something that creates heat..........got one of those heaters you use in the winter that blows hot air?

I did this once or twice my first time too. I found that another layer of resin with extra hardener (sets fast and hot) helps cure the poorly mixed resin underneath.

I do have one of thoes heaters actually, I just resined it with the mix you suggested, I'll check on it in a couple of hours to see what it is doing. Should i still put a heater on it tonight though? Can I over heat it?

So does anyone know how strong this will be when all three coats cure, It should be pretty damn strong in theory.

It won't be THAT strong. Also doing it allat once will increase the chance of warping, and also the degree of the warps. Heating it will help, but doing what promethean said should pretty much do it. I read somewhere that a guy said he uses baby powder to clear up the tackiness then coats it with a layer of resin with lots of hardener so that might help :p

I think your on the right track, do one or the other. The resin hardens through a chemical reaction that causes heat, by mixing hot (extra hardener) you should be able to cure the layers underneath as well. Good luck

How long has the resined piece been sitting after you applied your last coat? I had this happen with one of my own pieces and I let it sit outside all night and the next day while I was at work and it cured fine. Just took a really long time. LOL.

Yeah, that wouldn't be to good. I'll let it set outside for a day or so and if it doesn't cure then I'll set it in front of a heater. Thanks for the advice everyone, I'll still be checking back for more

Thanks everyone for the help, I just checked on the helmet and it's curing. I'd post pictures but I don't have a suitable camera. Thank you all and good luck with your builds

no problem man glad to hear its working out for you. Dont worry about the quality of most pics. I use my android most of the time to upload my pics. Hope to see more progress soon

Keep in mind that resin is flammable, wouldn't want to leave it unattended next to a heat lamp very long.

that's true. i certainly wouldn't leave it unattended over night like that. the little flammable logo is on the resin tin for a very good reason. to increase the effects of the heat lamp though you could try a ghetto oven. basically take a regular cardboard box about 2-3 time the size of the piece you're resining and line the inside of the box with aluminium foil (baking foil), shiny side facing in towards the piece so as to reflect the light/heat. put the lamp in front of the piece in the box and hey presto, you got yourself a ghetto oven. it's also great for curing in the cooler months of the year. you would be surprised how warm it'll get in there, so again, don't leave it unattended for very long.

and the best thing is the mum/wife/girlfriend/partner/landlord won't have a reason to go off about it as it's not the good oven (do not use your kitchen oven. i repeat, DO NOT USE YOUR KITCHEN OVEN!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back