Resin still sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.

hacxor

I wanted more people to chime in so I can move on from this phase.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439131064.627857.jpg
I put a few layers of fiberglass on it but it still not hardened and not sitting in some places. I tried brushing hardener over the whole thing but this did not help.
Should I mix a batch of resin heavy with hardener and put it over the whole helmet or is there a better way?

Here is the resin I am using.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439131442.662442.jpg
I saw some people use an epoxy, is that a lot better?

Thank you,
Guy who wants to move on to next process. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To fix this problem make another batch of resin with a lot of hardener. You don't need a lot of resin but just enough to cover the whole helmet. Remember add a lot of hardener this time. And you don't need to have more then 2 coats of resin to any piece.

To fix this problem make another batch of resin with a lot of hardener. You don't need a lot of resin but just enough to cover the whole helmet. Remember add a lot of hardener this time. And you don't need to have more then 2 coats of resin to any piece.

Thank you very much, your suit is awesome!! I hope to have one that is half as good

As an alternative you can also use baby powder to dry up sticky resin.

Do you need to sand the resin before bondo'ing? And should I spray paint primer before I bondo?

Thanks if the new resin doesn't all set I'll try the baby powder.

Do you need to sand the resin before bondo'ing? And should I spray paint primer before I bondo?

Thanks if the new resin doesn't all set I'll try the baby powder.

i dont know, but i have seen people using the Bondo AFTER resining, then primer/paint

the only thing you need to sand after you resin is any big drips of resin. or you can take scissors and cut them off.

- - - Updated - - -

As an alternative you can also use baby powder to dry up sticky resin.

Flour aswell. good thinking Frozen

Y'all are awesome! I'm glad I went ahead joined instead of just browsing and trying to build

Like at the 2 hour mark, or fully dry overnight?

Well the auto body filler I used, some 'F1' stuff I found online that worked really well, took 20 minutes to fully dry. If you are using the actual 'bondo' body filler, then read the tin.

when it is hard to the touch you can go ahead and apply more, remember with bondo, less is more. thinner is better and tiny holes should be filled with filler not more bondo.

Absolutely this, I cannot stress enough how absolutely vital it is that you work in small batches, and spread each layer thinly. Far too many people make the mistake of thinking they have to slap an entire tin on their piece before they begin, and this only makes it harder for you to sand things smooth later.

Don't make yourself more work - make up batches to about the size of a golf ball, apply in thin batches, and don't worry if you don't have the entire helmet covered. Less really is more.

Absolutely this, I cannot stress enough how absolutely vital it is that you work in small batches, and spread each layer thinly. Far too many people make the mistake of thinking they have to slap an entire tin on their piece before they begin, and this only makes it harder for you to sand things smooth later.

Don't make yourself more work - make up batches to about the size of a golf ball, apply in thin batches, and don't worry if you don't have the entire helmet covered. Less really is more.
Thats good to know. Saving that knowledge for later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back