Respirators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck 126

Jr Member
Hey all,
So since I'll be needing to sand my helmet soon, I'm in the market for a respirator (up until now I've been using a paper mask and fans). I've heard that working without protection can result in fun colored mucus, and while that sounds pretty cool, I figure I'd rather be safe.

So my question is how do I know what masks will protect me from dust and which ones will protect from fumes? Are there any that protect from both? I've been looking at various masks online but I'm seriously at a loss. Does anyone have any pointers on what to look for? Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chuck

There are two main types of resperators, half face and full face. Either will give you the dust and fume protection you want but the full face are generally around $110 while the half face are around $30. You should be able to find one in the paint area of your local hardware or superstore. I like the 3M brand half face myself. $32, looks cool, works well, and comes with 2 replacement filters.

One of these should be sufficient.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores...uctId=100074692

db6926c7-bfaf-490d-8c81-a932f10a2c77_400.jpg

AO Safety Professional Multi-purpose Respirator

Model 95050-10000

$37.97/Each

AOSafety reusable respirators are designed and constructed expressly for exceptional performance and comfort that lasts. Respirators have a soft rubber facepiece for superior durability.

High efficiencey P100 filter cartridges.
Protects against paint and pesticide sprays, vapors, chlorine, muriatic acid, lead, asbestos, mold abatement, lacquer and enamel.
NIOSH Approved
Recommended for use with: paint and pesticide chemicals, chlorine and muratic acid, lead, asbestos and mold abatement, lacquer and enamels
MFG Brand Name : AO Safety
MFG Model # : 95050-10000
MFG Part # : 95050-10000

Thanks guys. None of the ones I'd looked at online were very clear about what exactly they protected from and I just wanted to get some opinions. I see Sigma-LS recommended the 3m brand, which is one of the ones I was looking at anyway, so I may go that route. Suppose I'll actually have to go to the store and compare boxes.

One more quick question: is particulates a fancy word for dust or is that a more general term?

Thanks again!

not sure if this helps but if ur up for a project here is one ... also u could find a way to mount one of these into a helmet. that would be pretty nifty

ahlwen said:
not sure if this helps but if ur up for a project here is one ... also u could find a way to mount one of these into a helmet. that would be pretty nifty
Heh, I thought about doing just that to cut down on the stench of convention goers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back