Sanding body filler. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alhmanic

Today I was putting bondo on my MK VI helmet, no pic yet, and suddenly I still have holes dents on my body filler, what I mean is when I apply bondo, it's not applying evenly....
I have a 250-300 grit sandpaper and its still not smooth. And no I don't have spotting putty and on a tight budget.

PLS HeLp!!! Anyone who sees this please help.

You will never apply it 100% evenly, it's still a putty and it will stick and such. That's why you add it in layers - sand one layer put more bondo, repeat until you're satisfied with the result.
Maybe you should rather post a photo of your problem area.

Also, you already have a thread on your build - why not post just there?
Also, there is specific 101 help for resining/bondo/etc. and why not post just there?
I'm just saying by making even more same threads you're just making a mess, because people could either answer in your build thread or I'm sure that question has been already answered in 101 and still, if you asked there - people would have answered, that's what these threads are for.

I agree with Satchmo above, Cereal Killl3r on YouTube has excellent tutorials on this matter that covers the steps in depth pretty well to get a better idea of applying the filler. It has helped me because I am about to start the filling process on the helmet I am making currently.

One thing I would suggest is investing in a good pair of files and getting spot putty. I understand the tight budget but the putty will fill in all those holes. With out it you will never really get a smooth helmet. I found a nice file set for $20 and it saves me so much time and sandpaper.

Link in my sig = literal step-by-step guide.

(And yes to files and spot putty!)

One more thing that hasn't been mentioned: how thick are you applying your body filler? If you are laying it on more than 1-2mm thick, you are putting on too much at one time. As well, it should spread quite smoothly right after being mixed with hardener. If you continue to try to smooth it while it is curing, it will clump and crumble, leading to a rough surface.

another thing that i do depending on the finish or texture is go all the way up to 2000 grit and sand both wet and dry.

another thing that i do depending on the finish or texture is go all the way up to 2000 grit and sand both wet and dry.

Anything over 400 before prime and painting is counter productive. Your paint needs something to stick to. If you are wet sanding after painting, go for it for that extra shine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back