Soft Parts scuba drysuit for undersuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mumgoot

So I found a great textured drysuit at a thrift store and I plan on using it for a Spartan undersuit. I'm not completely decided on what kind (S-II III or IV) but I think it would be great for a S-IV because I already have the disguise Master Chief H4 helmet and it has that H4 look to it. But that's a different story.

I know that the suit has serious issues in terms of sweating and heat, but the texture is amazing. I'm thinking of perhaps cutting it into portions that that I won't have to wear it as one big unit. The pics aren't too great, but hopefully it will give you an idea. I cut the hood in order to make a neck seal, which looks quite good, but you can still see the underside of my chin. But oh well.

Main concern is that hopefully it will stick to my body even after cutting it into sections. It's a tight fit, so I think it will work.

IMG_2453.JPGIMG_2454.JPGIMG_2565.JPGIMG_2568.JPG

*goofy smile because the neck seal turned out great

You need to be extremely careful using any neoprene based Scuba wetsuit, dry suit, or skin as most are designed specifically to keep heat in and moisture out (meaning moisture is also kept in). The idea of cutting it up and re attaching parts to a different, breathable ubdersuit, only in exposed areas like between biceps and firearms and thighs and shins could work, just be very careful to minimize its use or you face catastrophic heat issues.

You need to be extremely careful using any neoprene based Scuba wetsuit, dry suit, or skin as most are designed specifically to keep heat in and moisture out (meaning moisture is also kept in). The idea of cutting it up and re attaching parts to a different, breathable ubdersuit, only in exposed areas like between biceps and firearms and thighs and shins could work, just be very careful to minimize its use or you face catastrophic heat issues.

Right. I will have to figure out exactly how I'm going to do it. The legs and arms should be no problem, as for the rest of it, not sure yet.

Oh yeah, and the pants aren't textured in that photo because they were turned inside out for cleaning. It has that diamond tread look to it like the other pieces.

So, I cut the suit up today into sections and I wasn't real impressed. It didn't stay on very tight, and the whole thing is still very hot. I think this will be a great lesson in "how not to do it". I'll take a thin, breathable bodysuit over a highly-detailed sweat-sealing body glove. I got it cheap, so not a big deal.

That will be hot af dude, and while cutting it up might help, I'd be very careful about staying hydrated. I already get hot from just wearing the layered EVA foam costume.

That will be hot af dude, and while cutting it up might help, I'd be very careful about staying hydrated. I already get hot from just wearing the layered EVA foam costume.

Yeah, that's what I discovered. The neck seal isn't too bad, but wearing the whole suit is near impossible.

A warm water diving suit made out of lycra actually works well since it is designed to keep you cool. It's more durable and more comfortable than the standard zentai and I only spent $25 on it. The only downside is that it does not come with a neck seal.

A warm water diving suit made out of lycra actually works well since it is designed to keep you cool. It's more durable and more comfortable than the standard zentai and I only spent $25 on it. The only downside is that it does not come with a neck seal.

Hmm. That sounds cool. When I wore my suit I just did long johns and a black long sleeve shirt. Would definitely want to upgrade if I cosplay a spartan again!

Hmm. That sounds cool. When I wore my suit I just did long johns and a black long sleeve shirt. Would definitely want to upgrade WHEN I cosplay a spartan again!

Fixed it for you.

The long sleeve shirt and longjohns are good to keep around for when you're test fitting your armour and attaching it to your suit! You can sew straps, velcro and snaps on quickly and adjust as needed without worrying about damaging your fancy undersuit material. Cosplay turns you into a hoarder of odd things.

:D Yeah that's a good point. And totally true about the weird stuff. One time I went to dollar general, and purchased a toy blowgun, halloween masks, and "spooky netting". In my eyes: perfect masks for repainting, a gun scope, and a camo net hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back