Sean Bradley's Haunted House - Scream In The Dark!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Bradley

Sr Member
Hey all,

Some of you may or may not know that for the last 5 or 6 weeks since Dragoncon I've been very busily working as project manager on a Haunted House attraction for the company that I work for, Laserdome in Manheim, PA. Pretty much as soon as I got back from the convention I started on building a modular haunted house from scratch at my day job with a crew of 2 full timers and 3-5 part-time volunteers.

The base structure of the haunted house is two 45 foot trailers that we bought for cheap from a nearby reconditioning facility. We parked these on the far end of our lot, and built a interior maze structure between the two. Customers go up the steps to enter the first trailer, wind through it and exit out the side door down some steps to the interior courtyard. After winding through the courtyard, they go up the steps to enter the second trailer from the side door, wind through it, and exit out the rear of the second trailer. It takes about 6 or 7 minutes to go through it you don't start running inside.. most people are in a hurry to get through.. :lol:

Our production schedule allowed for about 4 weeks of serious construction (framing walls, building decks and stairs, and framing sliding door systems). Beyond that we spent additional few weeks time painting everything, creating murals and backdrops for the entire walkthrough, and then decorating and installing all our special effects within the space. We worked right up to and slightly past the opening weekend, October 3rd, and are still tweaking and making changes here and there.

My involvement with the project was to frame and build the majority of the interior walls and doors, manage the mural painters (making sure they had what they needed and approving their designs for the murals). I also designed, built, and painted the front of the haunted house, creating a faux facade that makes the two trailers look like an actual house... and at that one that a car has crashed into!. I themed the exterior and interior of the car crash, and several other key projects throughout the interior spaces (I don't want to give too much away!)

Last weekend I filmed several video walkthroughs of the haunted house, following through with groups that were seeing it for the first time. Afterward I filmed a walkthrough myself, asking the actors to play to the camera as they would any regular attendee. I wanted to take the best of these videos and edit together a longer version of the video showing peoples reactions to the various scares through out the house, but our volunteers and others have been extremely anxious to see the video.. so I handed the footage I shot off to another employee who quickly edited together a rough cut to put up immediately. I still intend to do something better with all of the footage I have, but thie video is the 'quick and dirty' version for the volunteers to use to choreograph their timing.

So heres the video, and I'll follow it up with some photos I shot:

DSC01918.jpg

DSC01925.jpg

DSC01929.jpg

DSC01934.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

DSC01940.jpg

DSC01965.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

I'll have some additional photos later of the construction and the... uh.. 'theming' of the car (the rest are on my computer at home).

So lemme know what you think guys! I'll have to get some better shots of some of the stuff (you just can't see all the work that went into this with the video in nightvision). Lemme know if you have any suggestions or questions about it. Also we could use some views, comments, and ratings at YouTube!

And now that this is done, I can get back to finishing up the Arbiter and getting the 'making of the Arbiter' photoset annotated and uploaded. I'm on it!

See you soon!

-Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Man! If a couple of people I knew went there. They would have cried 2x's as much than in the Kings Dominions' one. Which really wasn't scary it only made me jump at those around-the-corner and behind the crate stuff. I remember I was waiting for everyone else to catch up and I could tell someone was behind it. I think I might be close to tears if I saw the people RPing get a little to "Up Close"

That I get scared really easily and everytime I was about to loose control of myself I would hear you giggling in the video, and that calmed me down. Thanks Sean! you did a great job but even if I were there I wouldn't go through it. I'll just admire it from a distance :D

The lighting effect at the beginning of the video/entrance to the attraction, how was that achieved? Was it nifty video-editing or is that actually part of the attraction?

The effect I am talking about is when the "SCREAM IN THE DARK" text just appears.

Perfect. A Spartan/Elite running a Haunted House. That is the most idea set up I have ever seen. Anyway, good job dude. Scared the $#!T out of me a couple times on the video ... what was with the clown though ... did he like follow you through the maze and show up in random places, like on a roof ...0.0;

- Adulese

Awsome! I should post pictures of the haunted house I put up in my garage ever year, its not as good as yours, but still pretty cool.
BTW: You should have jumped out at the end as the arbiter :)

Wow, this is fantastic Sean!

You never cease to amaze :)

(Wish I could come tour the haunted house!)

Wow! (y) Thanks for the great response everybody!!! Lemme try to get to those questions first, and I'll upload some new pictures in a bit.

@TaterMane: The effect you saw was me switching my camerea from nightvision to normal mode. I guess the color Red doesn't show up so well in nightvision. I had no idea really before filming that!

@ a1200: Yeah, me too. Heres this guy made up in a completely different character and he's got to throw a recognizable line from a movie into it. Kinda kills the moment for me... some people seemed to like it though.

@ Adulese: Yeah, several of the actors scared me at least twice by getting ahead of me (Zombie who popped out of the corn by the graveyard, Monster with machete). We designed the access to these trailers with that in mind. There are a number of secret access hallways and hidden sliding doors so that the actors can move past attendees without being seen.

@ Overlord Ian: But I was the one filming! We thought long and hard about working my costumes into this in some way, but I just don't feel theres any way it could work.. People aren't scared when they see the Arbiter or Master Chief... they're interested and want to ask questions. Then you have some guy in a store bought mask jumping out right beside a well made costume... it just doesn't work. But we did think about it.

@flying_squirl: That dude at the beginning is our make-up guy Rooster. He's actually worked in Hollywood.. for Stan Winston, Tom Savini, and KNB Effects, on a bunch of movies. We managed to get him because he recently quit working for another local Haunted House and wanted to help us get started. He stood in for our usual greeter because she had to go to her other job. The guy is pretty nuts, for real!

Thanks Vex and SKG too. I knew people would want to see it who couldn't be here, so thats why I was recording video walkthroughs for everybody.

oh, and @ BlackRoseImmortal: I couldn't help from giggling a little. I was trying to keep as quiet as possible for the recording, but whenever somebody started chasing me I couldn't help it. It was easier for me to giggle about it... I know all those people wearing the masks!

Anyway thanks to all for the nice things you've said. I have a little work to get done in the studio today, but I should have time to put up some additional photos in this thread too.

Thanks!

-Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back