Disability/Accessibility in the Community

SamuelHan

Jr Member
Hey, y'all! I wanted to start this thread for any fellow disabled folk who wanted to share some tips for engaging with the cosplay hobby and community. Building armour and going to cons are physically and mentally demanding tasks, especially for those of us with disabilities in those areas. Feel free to share any tips or ideas you have for making the hobby more accessible!

For example, I frequently struggle with staying motivated and on task due to my ADHD. In order to help myself go through with a project, I create a detailed plan and give myself a general timeframe so that I conceptualize my end goal better. I also make sure to take frequent breaks to prevent burnout, which can easily result from hyperfocus.

Love this idea!
I had a lil incident a year and a half ago that resulted in having limited mobility in my right ankle. As a way to help counter this I've used clamshell shin pieces and opening thighs for suiting up. Using a combo of velcro, magnets, and straps, it helps me slide my leg through the armor piece without worrying about shimmying it in at an uncomfortable angle.

I'm not disabled in any way, but I do love having an app on my phone/desktop called Cosgear Planner that allows me to list every thing about what I need to do. From every step, detailing any costs, give time frames, etc... It lets me plan out exactly what I need to do. (I can be as brief or in depth. I can add links to pretty much every task. I can add notes like if I want to remember that I need to mix paint at 2:1 of colour A to B.) I can load in reference photos and include pictures of my progress. Plus even an events section which has spots for photos of when I'm at the event itself. So this way if I want to show stuff off later it's all basically in one app.

I love this!! It's so important to remember that accessible cosplay IS cosplay! I have magnetic snaps on my officer's jacket, in case my arthritis flares and I can't do buttons or actual snaps.

Halo there everyone! I love that you started this post. I’m always super shy to start one. I have fibromyalgia, joint pain and loose joints from a connective tissue disorder, asthma, POTS, and degenerative disc disease ( I have Hypermobile EDS).

Heat is my best friend for events so if I know it’ll be during cold season, I will pack hand warmers, fleece lined leggings, and I even invested in a heated vest which has been absolutely AMAZING.

I also wear a lot of compression clothing, (from my socks to my neck!) helps improve blood circulation. I tend to layer up as well as I do get cold easily. Compression gloves are also a big help.

With POTS, they say drink water a lot but don’t forget electrolytes! Very important to replenish those. I use honey, sea salt, and a slice of lemon per bottle. I generally do it to taste. I drink easily 1 gallon of water a day so you can imagine buying coconut water for everyday consumption or pedialyte really adds up on the food bill. I definitely recommend investing in electrolyte packets! I do not drink most sports drinks like Gatorade because of the sugar- and I can’t have sugar!

I also roll with a plus one because sometimes I get hit with dizzy spells out of nowhere if I’ve been walking too long. Sometimes I have to use a wheelchair or powerchair because fatigue and pain can really get to me. There’s no shame in being a part timer for a mobility aide!

I want to create a gungoose cover for my power chair to roll around in style (which reminds me that I need to make a post on that). For the guns, I want them to be a snack and water bottle holder.

As for armor, another post I need to make, I plan to build a suit on the support of a corset, and a stiff harness to keep weight off the shoulders. It’s hard to describe what I mean but I will sketch it out sometime. I also want to use knee braces (the good ones) for supporting my wiggly joints.

There’s probably more where that came from but that’s what I do and what I plan to do!

> In order to help myself go through with a project, I create a detailed plan and give myself a general timeframe so that I conceptualize my end goal better.

Planning, time boxing, check lists are vital - disability or not. Just saying I think you're on a good trajectory with that.
2024-06-27_18-19-29.PNG

> In order to help myself go through with a project, I create a detailed plan and give myself a general timeframe so that I conceptualize my end goal better.

Planning, time boxing, check lists are vital - disability or not. Just saying I think you're on a good trajectory with that.
View attachment 349683
What are you building this checklist in Saint?

I write down a list of what I need to do and pin in it right my my work area at home. It'll change when I get to different phases of the project i.e. I write out what needs to get made and once that's done I make a new list for prep, seal, paint and strap/pad so I do it step by step.
I also put on long lets plays on YouTube for background noise, I found it's for me better than shows or music those two distracte me way to easily.
Another thing this is to not push yourself when you don't want to do anything because that's when frustration and burnout happens and then you have a suit sitting around for 1.5 years not finished.
Hope this helps and gives some ideas

I was diagnosed with Mitochondrial Dysfunction in 2020. A few of my mental "disabilities" are Aspergers, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

I don't have many tips, I don't even use a checklist (although I should), and I don't pace myself well. A prime example of my crash-and-burn work ethic is my Spartan. I have been working on my Reach suit for 3+ years now, and she is still nowhere close to being done, and probably won't be finished until I graduate. I have this burst of energy to where I work on it for 3 months, and then burn out for an entire year. My tip? Make a cosplay that is less intense than a Spartan, that is why I made my marine. Now I no longer stress about getting my spartan done, because she will get done EVENTUALLY and WHEN I have the time and energy. Until then, I already have a perfectly good suit that is wearable.

Most importantly: If it's not fun, stop and work on something simpler. This is something I have to remind myself very often.

Last edited:
Halo there everyone! I love that you started this post. I’m always super shy to start one. I have fibromyalgia, joint pain and loose joints from a connective tissue disorder, asthma, POTS, and degenerative disc disease ( I have Hypermobile EDS).

Heat is my best friend for events so if I know it’ll be during cold season, I will pack hand warmers, fleece lined leggings, and I even invested in a heated vest which has been absolutely AMAZING.

I also wear a lot of compression clothing, (from my socks to my neck!) helps improve blood circulation. I tend to layer up as well as I do get cold easily. Compression gloves are also a big help.

With POTS, they say drink water a lot but don’t forget electrolytes! Very important to replenish those. I use honey, sea salt, and a slice of lemon per bottle. I generally do it to taste. I drink easily 1 gallon of water a day so you can imagine buying coconut water for everyday consumption or pedialyte really adds up on the food bill. I definitely recommend investing in electrolyte packets! I do not drink most sports drinks like Gatorade because of the sugar- and I can’t have sugar!

I also roll with a plus one because sometimes I get hit with dizzy spells out of nowhere if I’ve been walking too long. Sometimes I have to use a wheelchair or powerchair because fatigue and pain can really get to me. There’s no shame in being a part timer for a mobility aide!

I want to create a gungoose cover for my power chair to roll around in style (which reminds me that I need to make a post on that). For the guns, I want them to be a snack and water bottle holder.

As for armor, another post I need to make, I plan to build a suit on the support of a corset, and a stiff harness to keep weight off the shoulders. It’s hard to describe what I mean but I will sketch it out sometime. I also want to use knee braces (the good ones) for supporting my wiggly joints.

There’s probably more where that came from but that’s what I do and what I plan to do!
I am just starting out in the Halo community but, I also have POTS and I have MS. I have modified and added "costumes" to my wheelchair and canes. I am very interested in doing a Kai 125 cosplay from the series.
I'm also very new with finishing out 3d printed pieces for my cosplays.
I need all the pointers I can get. I would love to hear more about your adaptations.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back