Securing armor on without it FALLING!? Frustrated >:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNSCSpartan117

Hey there! Coming close to the finish line on the suit, but I have some questions.

1. How can I secure the armor attachments soundly?!
The most trouble I'm having in particular are the thigh pieces. I've tried putting on Velcro inside of the amor and attach it to my body suit, but it's not strong enough to keep a hold! I need an alternative, and fast.

2. How can I bend my foam further and further? I don't have a heat gun, so I'm very limited on how much I can bend that foam without trying to cut it to make it bend.

Thanks guys!

to bend your foam more, you can heat it up in an oven at about 200 degrees. It will soften right up then you can bend it. Just don't leave it in there too long.

Re: Securing armor on without it FALLING!? Frustrated >:(

I used these for the clips
Invalid URL
and used rondo to hold this to the gear
Invalid URL
Thread it through and rondo it works grate if you dont mind having to clip up when gearing up ;)

Good luck!

Rondo? I'm trying a google search, but nothing is coming up.

- - - Updated - - -

to bend your foam more, you can heat it up in an oven at about 200 degrees. It will soften right up then you can bend it. Just don't leave it in there too long.

Is that the melting point?
Does it become sticky?

Rondo is a term that we use to describe a mixture of polyester resin and body filler. And the foam does not become sticky when its heated just much more malleable.

I am not a fan of velcro anymore. After having to leave several troops early because my velcro failed I switched to heavy duty snaps.

For the thighs I mounted webbing inside the ab plate permanently, then ran a length of webbing down to the thigh. I then used two snaps each to secure the thighs. So much better than velcro. My TD is vacuum formed plastic, so snaps stick really well with just superglue. I've never tried using snaps with pep or foam, so you'll have to experiment if you want to go this route.

I am not a fan of velcro anymore. After having to leave several troops early because my velcro failed I switched to heavy duty snaps.

For the thighs I mounted webbing inside the ab plate permanently, then ran a length of webbing down to the thigh. I then used two snaps each to secure the thighs. .

Sounds very similar to the way I mounted my ODST thighs, I try not to use velcro because it can tear up stitching in gloves or undersuit parts. That and if you use the self adhesive velcro it can sometimes just take the paint away without sticking...

I really don't know the terms you just used since this is my very first cosplay lol. Can you show a tutorial? If possible, I'll need to do it, but if it takes too long, I can't do it. Again, I need quick fixes.

I really don't know the terms you just used since this is my very first cosplay lol. Can you show a tutorial? If possible, I'll need to do it, but if it takes too long, I can't do it. Again, I need quick fixes.

Yes this is a TK tutorial, yes you can apply it to your armor. Or you can google "armor snap tutorial" and see what you come up with. Ignore the snap placements, this will give you a run down on what to buy and how to attach snaps to your armor.

TK300 Stormtrooper

Re: Securing armor on without it FALLING!? Frustrated >:(

Rondo? I'm trying a google search, but nothing is coming up.

- - - Updated - - -

Is that the melting point?
Does it become sticky?
It is not the melting point, but EVA foam does burn. That is why I stated not to leave it in to long, aka forgetting about it.

Velcro was a no go for me. Heavy duty contoured 1" ykk snaps adhere to Eva with hot glue very well. I dont trust magnetic solutions since my range of movement would be at its limit whilst wearing the armor.

I either have the part nice and tight and it hugs my body to.stay.on. Or I use machine screws and washers to keep parts on. It is not that comfortable but its cheap and does the job.

For bending the foam, I also do not have a heat gun, and don't want to (didn't think of) using an oven. What I do is make a slice in the back of the peice that doesn't go all the way through, then cut out a chunk. Bend, Hot glue. Not sure if that's what you meant by not wanting to cut it though

A hair dyer will not do the job. It does not create enough heat. You can cut small v shaped divots out of the back to help give it a curve, and glue them with HIGH temp glue. You do not want to use a low temp, or a multi temp glue. If you do it will melt at normal wearing temperatures, then your armor will fall apart around you.
You will not get as good of a curve with out applying heat to your project.

What you need to cut it with is sharp razor blades. You can get a pack of 100 at harbor freight for under $4. You can also get a heat gun there for under $15.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back