Shock Trooper Armor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac

Alright, I'm completely new to the armor making scene. This is my first set. I Have a good deal of time on my hands and I'd like to make a set of armor, more specifically, The ODST Armor. I'm sure you've all seen noob posts' like this, but I have no idea where to begin.

I've downloaded the Pepakura program to my computer, and have downloaded all available pieces of ODST armor they have for that.

But I'm not sure on how to start on the actual building process. (What materials, processes, etc.)

Can anyone help me here? :eek

You should read the stickies on the processes and watch youTube videos on the subject. That's what I did. One guy that really helped was named abrant3 on youtube. He has the process from start to finish. His armor might not look the best in the end but he sums up the steps in a pretty straight-forward manner.

To get started though go buy:

-Some 110 weight card stock

-Some kind of glue (preferences vary on this subject)

-An exacto knife for making precise cuts

-Something to cut on (I use those really cheap roll-up cutting boards)

Once you've done that:

-Read the sticky on scaling your armor

-Scale your armor to your body

-Re-arrange the pepakura unfold so that all the pieces fit on the pages still

-and Print it out (make sure you turn on "Show EdgeID" first.

Then, start putting your stuff together. That should get you through the pep process. After that, you'll have to resin the outside, fiberglass the inside, bondo the outside to smooth out any deformities, and then detail and paint the piece.

Here's the first video in Abrant3's YouTube tutorial series. And here's a video that BFX did on making halo armor with the pepakura process.

Samuray said:
You should read the stickies on the processes and watch youTube videos on the subject. That's what I did. One guy that really helped was named abrant3 on youtube. He has the process from start to finish. His armor might not look the best in the end but he sums up the steps in a pretty straight-forward manner.

To get started though go buy:

-Some 110 weight card stock

-Some kind of glue (preferences vary on this subject)

-An exacto knife for making precise cuts

-Something to cut on (I use those really cheap roll-up cutting boards)

Once you've done that:

-Read the sticky on scaling your armor

-Scale your armor to your body

-Re-arrange the pepakura unfold so that all the pieces fit on the pages still

-and Print it out (make sure you turn on "Show EdgeID" first.

Then, start putting your stuff together. That should get you through the pep process. After that, you'll have to resin the outside, fiberglass the inside, bondo the outside to smooth out any deformities, and then detail and paint the piece.

Here's the first video in Abrant3's YouTube tutorial series. And here's a video that BFX did on making halo armor with the pepakura process.

Thanks!

But theres' only one problem.

I'm confined to the viewer version of the Pepakura program.

I can't really scale down, or scale up anything necissary.

Is there anywhere I could get the editor portion for free?

Last edited by a moderator:
well, if it will only let you view, then you probably downloaded pepakura viewer. you need to download pepakura designer. This will let you edit pieces, but your work cannot be saved. HAPPY PEPPING! :lol

I find elmors glue to be the best although you have to hold the tabs together for a little while for them to adhere also RESEARCH type in questions in the search bar to try to find things. Also i find looking at stuff like this on you tube helps!

good luck message me if you have questions!

Shaymin Sky said:
well, if it will only let you view, then you probably downloaded pepakura viewer. you need to download pepakura designer. This will let you edit pieces, but your work cannot be saved. HAPPY PEPPING! :lol

Well thank you.

I'll try my hardest.

I've got a team working with me,

so I'm sure we'll finish it quickly.

You can download and use Pepakura Designer for free. It's the password to get all the features to work that costs money, but without the key you can still scale.

About the glue. If your using superglue (which i use) you'll need to get liquid, i dont know why but i think i read that its compulsary if you dont want a screwed helmet during the resin stage, or something like that :p

Also, i use the bottles of superglue that come with a handy brush, i find this MUCH easier and less time consuming then the squeezy tubes.

Well I finally got my Helmet sized and pepped, and I've found out one thing about it;

It's basically a giant puzzle.

And here's a newsflash for you,

I suck at puzzles.

As does everyone else working with me.

Here's an overview of what's occured:

Attempt 1: What was assembled of the helmate destroyed in fit of rage by worker #5.

Attempt 2: Chocolate sauce spilled on paper. (Too sticky to begin.)

Attempt 3: Helmate outline established, then destroyed in another fit of rage by myself.

Attempt 4: (Yet to be attempted, NOTE to self: Have more patience.)

I'm conveniently doing the same thing. You should read some stickies on fiberglass and bondo and stuff because it's toxic. I would simply start by printing out some Pepakura designs and making the basic armor shape out of cardstock. After that, you'll fiberglass and resin, then bondo and add details, and then paint and you'll be all set for trick-or-treating or whatever it is you kids do with armor replicas these days.

I've gotten the pep version of the helmate done, by sheer force of will.

I'll try and get a picture up in the next few days if I have time;

And I'm starting on the SMG.. It's not the silenced SMG, because I couldn't find a pepakura version.

So If anyone has any good Pepakura designs for the ODST Pistol or SMG let me know..

Next I'll be starting on the chestplate, shoulder, sniper shoulder, etc.

I also Have started the ODST suit. Im very familiar with the whole usage of the program but one thing still troubles me. and please, someone just be courteos and give me a straight up answer. This is what is troubling me. I have like 1500 sheets of 110 lbs cardstock, and everything I need toget started with the process, BUT I cant freakin find the so called "button" that everyone is talking about that puts the numbering on the pieces. its quite annoying, and every time I look somewhere, I find all these people giving everyone a hard time, and calling them NOOBS for no reason. actually people do look in the forums, its just that you get these long drawn out convo's and you can never get a simple answer from ANYONE. so please, just tell me, where can I find this "Button" everyone says to use.

Many Thanks.

Tyl22 said:
I also Have started the ODST suit. Im very familiar with the whole usage of the program but one thing still troubles me. and please, someone just be courteos and give me a straight up answer. This is what is troubling me. I have like 1500 sheets of 110 lbs cardstock, and everything I need toget started with the process, BUT I cant freakin find the so called "button" that everyone is talking about that puts the numbering on the pieces. its quite annoying, and every time I look somewhere, I find all these people giving everyone a hard time, and calling them NOOBS for no reason. actually people do look in the forums, its just that you get these long drawn out convo's and you can never get a simple answer from ANYONE. so please, just tell me, where can I find this "Button" everyone says to use.

Many Thanks.

For the 1000th time, go to the "2d menu" (or "2d pattern" depending on the version") in the toolbar, next click on "Show edge ID"

I find Crazy glue to work amazingly, I also like hot glue...

Tyl22 said:

Many Thanks.

Ouch, dude. Calm down. It's in the 2D Pattern menu. It's called "Show Edge ID". I understand your frustration. I know that sometimes it seems like sometimes people here can be harsh. They're just frustrated though. You have to understand that a lot of people here see the same question everyday and that those people probably took the time to sit down and read every sticky and watch any and every video they could find on pepakura before they started.

Even though they might not be right to blow up to you, you can't go and do the same back. It's not the way to make a name for yourself in the community and get help and respect.

Samuray said:
Ouch, dude. Calm down. It's in the 2D Pattern menu. It's called "Show Edge ID". I understand your frustration. I know that sometimes it seems like sometimes people here can be harsh. They're just frustrated though. You have to understand that a lot of people here see the same question everyday and that those people probably took the time to sit down and read every sticky and watch any and every video they could find on pepakura before they started.

Even though they might not be right to blow up to you, you can't go and do the same back. It's not the way to make a name for yourself in the community and get help and respect.

Preciate it. Sorry for a Frustration emplosion. all is good, Things are fixed, Helmet has been printed successfully, construction underway, and I hope to be able to join the Race of making one of these things successfully.

Wow.

Alot of unnecissary chatter eh?..

I suppose forums do get that way though..

However I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get the Visor part for my helmet.

(The part you see out of?)

Anyone know how to make one, where I can get Alot of them cheap, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back