should i continue??? my cardboard??

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes a few pics to help decide if i should move on well theres only one of the plate body i think

Josh028.jpg

this is my almost finished plasma rifle

DSCN0143.jpg

DSCN0149.jpg

it needs paint

i also have other parts of the armor made out of cardboard but should i move on 2 molding cause i have liek a week 2 decide plz help

I think the chest plate looks pretty good. How does it fit? If it looks good on, then I would keep going with it.

Just remember making a suit cost 1400 thousand + dollars to make 1 suit.

I'd make a pepakura suit with FS's models, he's making the torso better, and his helmet is truley amazing, then robogenisis is making arm pieces more detailed.

AoBfrost said:

$1,400,000 to make a suit? that seems a bit much :p
but you should consider that additional suits cost a good deal less and you can sell them for some return.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the chest plate looks pretty good. How does it fit? If it looks good on, then I would keep going with it.

i put my right arm though the left side if lookign at it in the front then i use the belt that i cutted and clip it of the other side so it doesnt bounce

AoBfrost said:
I'd make a pepakura suit with FS's models, he's making the torso better, and his helmet is truley amazing, then robogenisis is making arm pieces more detailed.

That's a rather ridiculous overestimation. $1,400,000 is quite a lot of money.

However, I get your point, although I have to disagree. Armor cost depends entirely on method of production. Moulding a set or casting it out is likely to cost a lot more money, although it invariably yeilds better results. An estimate on moulded armor cost will indeed reach perhaps into the first $1000 or so, if high-quality materials are used.

Pepakura-based sets are likely to cost somewhere in the region of $4-600 to create, if the cost of absolutely everything is taken into account, and may be slightly less highly finished than a moulded product. However, from the feedback and demonstrations, it's clear some people can do amazing things with pepakura.

Therefore: cost is not a fixed figure. Even if it were, I highly doubt any armor suit would reach over the $1,700 mark without an exceptionally good reason, and without a high-quality product at the end.

All good estimates.

Let me give you a simple equation...

the higher the quality = the higher the cost

the lower the quality = the lower the cost

It basically comes down to that.

and frost meant $1,400.00

damasterchief said:
i put my right arm though the left side if lookign at it in the front then i use the bel that i cut and clip it of the other side so it doesnt bounce

I am not sure what you just wrote but I will echo what I have already said with a little more detail. When you put the armor on and look in the mirror, how does it look? Is it acceptable to YOU? Does it look like the armor you had envisioned? There are a ton of very talented people on this board. Talent that I personally will never achieve. However, I am not going to let that stop me and that should be the position you take when constructing your armor.

Perfection is in the eye of the beholder. I think the chest piece looks pretty good. If you are going for spot on accuracy then you may want to consider the PEP route that others have suggested.

Also, punctuation and spell check are your friend ;)

Primal Weyland said:
That's a rather ridiculous overestimation. $1,400,000 is quite a lot of money.
However, I get your point, although I have to disagree. Armor cost depends entirely on method of production. Moulding a set or casting it out is likely to cost a lot more money, although it invariably yeilds better results. An estimate on moulded armor cost will indeed reach perhaps into the first $1000 or so, if high-quality materials are used.

Pepakura-based sets are likely to cost somewhere in the region of $4-600 to create, if the cost of absolutely everything is taken into account, and may be slightly less highly finished than a moulded product. However, from the feedback and demonstrations, it's clear some people can do amazing things with pepakura.

Therefore: cost is not a fixed figure. Even if it were, I highly doubt any armor suit would reach over the $1,700 mark without an exceptionally good reason, and without a high-quality product at the end.
Go ask adam if you think $1400 is too much. There used to be a thread where someone asked how much molded suits costed, then they asked how much adam's suit costed, he told, and it was ALOT higher than 1400.

yea but i dont plan on using all my money on tarps and drop lighting ans silicone!!! im goign 2 use hydrocal a finer more richer plaster it has gypsum cement so it stands up 2 miolding and the clay i understand

AoBfrost said:
Go ask adam if you think $1400 is too much. There used to be a thread where someone asked how much molded suits costed, then they asked how much adam's suit costed, he told, and it was ALOT higher than 1400.
lol we're saying your typo said "1400 thousand" which figures out to be 1.4 million.
your right though, it definitely is not cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back