Skullcandy Lowriders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I've got a pair of lowriders a friend gave me

and basically said if ya can fix them, their

yours.

I've tried wiring the ends together *red with red, gold with gold,

blue with blue* and I've got nothing.

If anyone can help me fix these, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

100_6467.jpg

100_6468.jpg

100_6469.jpg

What you'll probably find is that the wires have a coating on them to insulate them, that's what I've always found with these types of headphone wires. Normally what I'll do pass the ends of the wires over a small flame to cook that coating off... no idea if that's a bad thing (chances are it is) but it does a good job of removing that coating and allowing solder to fuse the two pieces of wire together.

Also they'll sometimes have a 'fabric' type core in the wire for strength, usually I separate that from the actual wire and trim it away before soldering.

Belakor said:
What you'll probably find is that the wires have a coating on them to insulate them, that's what I've always found with these types of headphone wires. Normally what I'll do pass the ends of the wires over a small flame to cook that coating off... no idea if that's a bad thing (chances are it is) but it does a good job of removing that coating and allowing solder to fuse the two pieces of wire together.

Also they'll sometimes have a 'fabric' type core in the wire for strength, usually I separate that from the actual wire and trim it away before soldering.

Ah, so that's what that is.

I was wondering why it felt kind-of weird.

Thanks for the info Belakor, I'll have to give it a try

tomorrow! =]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would recommend making sure you electrically isolate all wires from each other before you wrap them up in say electrical tape. Using Elmers glue, and starting at the surrounding white covering, cover each wire and soldered splice with glue. Then after drying and making sure they are seperate put a small piece of tape between the wires and then wrap them. This will keep any exposed wires from crossing.

Yes, like Belakor said, there is a very thin plastic coating on it. Just use either a torch or even sandpaper to get a majority of it off. Make sure when you reconnect them, you put something like heat shrink tubing on it to stop the two wires from touching.

If you're going to solder the wires anyway, you usually can just melt that coating off with the soldering iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.