Skyrim - Nordic Steel Armor (With Battleaxe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djinn

Jr Member
Greetings 40th, Yet another project of mine unrelated to Halo.. maybe one day... but for now! I've been a huge fan of Skyrim and have probably put more hours into it then anyone rightfully should. In the efforts of becoming a viking I have decided to make myself a set of the Nordic Steel Armor with a Skyforged Steel Battleaxe. This set, minus the shield.
steelyngvolshelm.jpg

Probably going to use a combination of Sintra and whatever else I can make work to achieve the effect I want.. but this is where I am going to chronicle my progress.

First things first, the battleaxe.

I started by ripping the models I wanted to use from the Skyrim game data and making some basic templates out of them.
steelbattleaxe%20%28Medium%29.PNG

Starting with just the head portion of the axe (going to be building this in layers, made almost entirely out of Sintra) I traced out 5 slices on a 1/4th sheet. The head of this axe will be about 20 inches across (manly as hell).
CIMG3199%20%28Medium%29.JPG

CIMG0001%20%28Medium%29.JPG

After an adventure on the bandsaw and with the razorknife...

CIMG0007%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Planning to sink a handle directly into this mess of sections, and in order to fill the seams that form between the sheets I filled each layer with wood glue (I know it wont bind to the Sintra well, its going to be screwed together.. this is to fill the seams and add strength)
CIMG0008%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Maximum clampiness achieved.

CIMG0012%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Next step is for me to sink the handle into the head and block off the blade edges and sand them down to shape.

Todays progress on the axe~
CIMG0014%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Took an angle grinder and a orbital sander to the sides of the axe and roughed out the blades. Got the edges pretty sharp and VERY straight, pretty happy with it.

CIMG0018%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Next step was to rough out the inner blades. It was a serious pain in my backside to get these bits done.. and it will need minor filling later to make it perfectly smooth - pretty close though.

CIMG0021%20%28Medium%29.JPG

Side view, the little imperfections (and the seams.. which the glue didnt fix.. dang it all) will all be filled and sanded at a later stage.

CIMG0022%20%28Medium%29.JPG

This is how I planned on doing the handle Slip. Bandsawed out a section of the head and mounted the dowel into it with a combination of hot glue and screws (one at top, two on sides) Should be plenty sturdy enough for my purposes.

Next step is to start building up the top part of the handle and the spike at the top. The dowel and screws and whatnot will be covered by a sheet of styrene that has all the detailing on it (will be mounted right ontop of it and sanded flush at the sides.. hopefully it will work as intended)

if the suit is anywhere near as good as the battle axe is so far, then is is going to be awesome...

just a suggestion, i would reinforce the join where the handle meets the head of the axe just a little bit more, maybe overlay a thin bit of sheet metal across the head down toward the handle on both sides, and then run a few small bolt though that, you only need one convention goer to swing that baby a little too hard and your battle axe will become a two piece combo...

as for the first shot, i thought it was blackened steel before i saw the glue and other cutouts :D this is going to be awesome, keep it up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back