Smoking Habits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keegan

Well, my parents smoke. I have no idea how to get them to stop. They smoke so much that people at my school think I smoke. Any ideas on how to get them to stop? Also, is it true that second hand smoke is worse than smoking yourslef?

If you smoke, you breathe in FILTERED smoke, when you dont smoke, but breathe in smoke, your breathing in unfiltered second hand smoke which is much worse.

People where I work smoke inside, and it is against the law to smoke inside buildings, but they dont care, I'm thinking of reporting a few people, I've asked them multiple times to quit, they refuse, when they are jailed and fined for smoking indoors, I dont take any responsibility.

Ah, I was in this situation many years ago when I was in school.
Keegan said:
Well, my parents smoke. I have no idea how to get them to stop. They smoke so much that people at my school think I smoke. Any ideas on how to get them to stop?
Quitting smoking can be a daunting task for many people. You can encourage them, with positive support, to try and stop. Ultimately, it is their body and their responsibility to break the habit. Many people who gather the will to quit still relapse several times. Depending on their success and willingness to try, this will require some patience.

So, for you to see results soon, I think your best bet is to work with them on where and when they smoke. It may help to explain to them that people at school harass you because your clothes and belongings smell like smoke and that you are worried about your health and your parents. Be honest and considerate when you mention your concerns. It's important to assert your feelings while not hurting theirs, so avoid implying that you are embarrassed by them personally.

Even if they are unable to stop smoking now, they should feel obligated, as your caretakers, to compromise for your good. Perhaps they can agree to only smoke in one room of the house or a porch area or times/places that avoid you and your things. People who live together need to respect each others preferences and rights, despite age/authroity, so ideally they will make some changes for you.

Also, is it true that second hand smoke is worse than smoking yourslef?
Second hand smoke is a health risk, but an actual smoker carries an overall greater risk for all associated health problems. That is to say, second hand smoke is a short term exposure to, certainly, several toxic chemcials and smoking is a long term exposure to many very toxic chemicals.

Here is a good article about some unfortunate, fallacious thinking and misinformation from a few anti-smoking groups --> Link

The doctor who wrote this explains:
"If active smoking is only as bad as secondhand smoke exposure, then it actually isn't as bad as the public has been led to believe. And why should a smoker quit smoking, if they will still be exposed to secondhand smoke and that exposure is as bad as their active smoking?
In an effort to protect people from secondhand smoke, anti-smoking groups are not only using unethical tactics; they are also undermining much of the work that public health practitioners have done over the past decades in educating smokers about the hazards of active smoking."

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
In general, smoke is bad for you if it gets into your lungs. It makes you look older, have bad breathe, stink like heck, and make people ignore you.

This girl I work with, she is only 16, but I thoguht she was in her late 20's when I first met her, she smoked since she was 14, so I ignore her at work all the time, not because she smokes, but because I am heavily allergic, she laughs when she see's me coughing and gasping for air, so I just dont hang out with her.

Keegan, if you wanna live a long life, you better get your parents to stop, because you are exposed to smoke daily, you could someday have lung cancer because of all the smoke you have been breathing in daily, I doubt you would have it now, but I mean, if this keeps up for many more years.

If you smoke, you breathe in FILTERED smoke
That is completely untrue. the filters on cigarettes are only there to stop tobacco getting in your mouth, they filter absolutely none of the chemical compounds hat make up the smoke itself. when you breath second hand smoke, you are exposing yourself to harmful chemicals, but with a lower tar content than the first hand smoker, this is because the person who breathed it first lungs, will have absorbed a fairly good portion of it. How to get your parents to stop?
You cant. and further more you shouldn't even bother trying. It is not your place to decide what is right for another person. When they smoke, leave the room, or ask them to go outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
What they do with their body is their business, but if you dont wantto breathe is smoke, then you could get them to smoke in another room or outside like vexona and nz tk said, you have a choice if you want to stay away from smoke, but them smoking in the same room, thats taking away your right to make your choice. If you're watching TV with them, and they decide to start smoking, you shouldnt be the one leaving, they should. (thats an example btw)

Well, many years ago (Like, before I was born), my mom was laying on her bed, smoking a cigarette and reading the Bible when she thought, "This isn't right. I'm killing myself."
So, she prayed to the Lord. When she woke up, she went to go for her usual normal morning smoke. She lit it and almost puked. All of a sudden, she had no desire to smoke.

I thank the Lord for that. :) Not only could that have added more years onto her life, it helped make mine healthier.

My dad also smoke for about one year when he joined the Army. After about a year, he just quit. I'll have to ask him how he did it.

I smoked for a few years and quit cold turkey. Mainly I did it because I was getting sick all the time - respiratory stuff.

If I may...
Cigarettes contain many harmful chemicals. Tobacco, in and of itself, isn't very addictive or as harmful as the additives in cigarettes. Look at pipe smokers and cigar smokers. These types of tobaccos are relatively pure, meaning nothing is added (hence the need for a humidor). Pipe and cigar smokers don't tend to have the same problems of cigarette smokers. I know it's not very scientific, because most pipe and cigar smokers don't do it constantly every day, so the amount of smoke inhaled isn't comparable. My point is that the cigarette companies put stuff in the cigarettes that help preserve the tobacco. No smoker will willingly smoke stale tobacco - they only do as a last resort.

Winston brand cigarettes lost a lawsuit many years ago and one stipulation of that was they could only use tobacco. No additives, no preservatives, just tobacco. As a result, getting a 'fresh' pack of winstons is harder to do. But, they aren't nearly as addictive. I was smoking Winstons when I quit, cold turkey. The only time I craved a cigarette was at the times I normally smoked - but it wasn't a physical addiction, it was psychological. I'd want a cigarette when I'd climb in my truck, or after a meal. Once that psycho addiction went away, I didn't have a need for cigs anymore.

As for smokers themselves, you face a big hurdle. I'd say it's worse than confronting a drug addict. Cigarette smokers are constantly in denial. They don't think they stink, they don't think it bothers or hurts anyone around them. They don't think they get sick because of the cigarettes. They just don't think cigarettes do anything bad. Getting smokers to realize that their addiction is harmful, not only to themselves, but to their friends, family, and nearby people also, is the toughest thing to do. Just as an example, my brother-in-law and his mom both smoke. My brother-in-law and his wife just had their second child, a boy. When either of them would pick him up after they had just smoked, the boy would just fuss and fight. Neither of them could figure it out. When I pointed out that he's suffocating in the hazy stink of cigarettes, they'd almost get angry with me. All I could do is point out what was happening, because he didn't fuss and fight when any of the non-smokers picked him up (unless he was hungry, that is). My brother-in-law and his mom are two perfect examples of the smoker. While my brother-in-law does admit that it causes problems, he choses not to do anything to stop.

Lastly, I'm not sure what state you live in, but several states have laws against smoking around children. Here in Texas (as well as about 5 other states) it's actually ILLEGAL to smoke in the car with car-seat aged children in it. I realize that you're not riding around in a car-seat with your parents, but there's a reason the law is there - SMOKE IS HARMFUL and kids who are exposed to it early have a bigger risk of lifelong asthma problems, as well as stunted growth and reduced brain function.

So in conclusion, you probably won't be able to do anything to get your parents to stop smoking. If you do get into some trouble at school, like bad grades or bad conduct, you could blame it on the smoke - say that you don't sleep well, and your grades suffer, or kids at school are always harassing you and you act out... You can't physically slap your parents in their faces about smoking, but sometimes if they see ill-effects on their kids, they'll think twice.

I've gone on and on, but I really hope that you can get your folks to see how harmful it is to you that they smoke. In the very least, you may convince them to just smoke outside, or in the garage or something. It could be that they don't realize they're picking cigarettes over your health.

dude, if you want to help your parent quit, make them think of what they are doing to themselves and to you. express your feelings to them personally and respectively at the same time, after all, they are your parents. tell them, "this isn't right, whatever you do to you is fine, but remember, there are others that are being affected by your actions."

I'm helping a friend at work quit smoking, he gets sick too much, so I think it is best for him to stop. he's cutting back every week, so he smokes less and less until he feels he no longer needs to.

Do a web search on lung cancer pictures and show them that is what they are doing to you with their second hand smoke. If that does not send them a message, get them to at least smoke out doors.

Or, you could get some of those exploding sticks that go in cigars and cigs. That should scare the fecal matter out of them. Do it randomly. :whistle:

Thanks guys, you were all a great help! (especially Vex) I am going to try mainly all of these methods when my parents get home. Again, you all really helped... and I really appreciate that.

Try coughing too, then just say "ahh mom/dad your smoke is bothering me, go smoke somewhere else" or "meh, stop smoking!"

They will probably listen.

If you cough (make it sound real) they will notice it. (thinking it is real)

Nope confronting them worked, now they arent going to smoke anymore! (or atleast try) Thanks Everyone, I'm very greatful that I belong to such a great community like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back