Smooth Cast 300

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I did try this.

Kind of a pain in the butt.

Maybe for a small one piece mold, it may be ok, but it is just too sensitive.

silicone caulk+glycerin+acrylic paint= a mess if you are a little off.

6 tries before i got one to turn out at all. I believe that if it was something like the helmet I'm working on, I wouldn't take the chance.

I threw together a hand guard real quick, using plasticine clay. I then made the mold using the warm soapy water method and silicone caulk. it usually sets up pretty fast. I used an ice cube to smooth it out onto the hand guard.

I may post a pic of it when done if it turns out ok.

Southpaw_Jim said:
Ok, I did try this.

Kind of a pain in the butt.

Maybe for a small one piece mold, it may be ok, but it is just too sensitive.

silicone caulk+glycerin+acrylic paint= a mess if you are a little off.

6 tries before i got one to turn out at all. I believe that if it was something like the helmet I'm working on, I wouldn't take the chance.

I threw together a hand guard real quick, using plasticine clay. I then made the mold using the warm soapy water method and silicone caulk. it usually sets up pretty fast. I used an ice cube to smooth it out onto the hand guard.

I may post a pic of it when done if it turns out ok.

Silicone Caulk isn't close to a molding system, because of the hi viscosity of this one-part system, the chances of losing detail is hi... it is better to go with a rebound 25, http://www.smooth-on.com/Silicone-Rubber-an/c2_1115_1132/index.html then do a mother mold... you won't put a huge output of money doing a brush on mold and the mother mold can be made out of something as simple as gypsum... the cost goes way down... smooth-cast 300 sets up in a rebound mold without mold release which means you can paint your casting right as soon as you demold, or buy the So-Strong color pigments and tint your resin while you cast it.... you cold also try smooth-cast ROTO as a resin that has good strength in thin-walled sections... don't go through all the trouble to make something as good as you can and spend nothing to actually make the copies...

Last edited by a moderator:
if u live in Southern California in the LA area there is a SMooth-on store in Santa-Fe Springs, i was there a while ago i forgot the offstreets but it is accually down an ally at the Very end, and is only open during the weekdays.

Clausen said:
if u live in Southern California in the LA area there is a SMooth-on store in Santa-Fe Springs, i was there a while ago i forgot the offstreets but it is accually down an ally at the Very end, and is only open during the weekdays.

I've purchased from them. Very helpful when I had questions as I was picking up my order. They're called A-R Products.

ok I have a intresting question I am thinking about the silicone rubber that comes in a tube from the hardware store but I have also seen a brush-on mold material that's a 2 part mix from Hobby Lobby and it's mainly used for jewelry, not sure on the name but would that work as a mold material on the box it show all the molds that the two mixtures can make and for $20 I can mold my helmet once it's done or do I just stay with Rebound 25 or something else?

Nintendude said:
ok I have a intresting question I am thinking about the silicone rubber that comes in a tube from the hardware store but I have also seen a brush-on mold material that's a 2 part mix from Hobby Lobby and it's mainly used for jewelry, not sure on the name but would that work as a mold material on the box it show all the molds that the two mixtures can make and for $20 I can mold my helmet once it's done or do I just stay with Rebound 25 or something else?

Is that the *Amazing Casting putty/resin*?

I'm sure if you put the silicone caulk in very thin coats at first it would be fine, But that's me talking out of my Lack of information.

MrOreo123 said:
I've purchased from them. Very helpful when I had questions as I was picking up my order. They're called A-R Products.

or conversely if you live in Central Fl theres a Smoooth-On Store also,.. Reynolds Advanced Materials In orlando

Does anyone know if smooth-on's smooth cast 300 is toxic? If so how toxic, like is a respirator required when working with it?

Lmnospartan said:
Does anyone know if smooth-on's smooth cast 300 is toxic? If so how toxic, like is a respirator required when working with it?

From the MSDS...

Toxicity Data:

Acute Inhalation Effects: None established

Acute Oral Effects: None Established

Reproductive Toxicity: None Established

Mutagenicity: None Established

Teratogenicity: None Established

Sensitization: None Established

Follow OSHA respirator regulations 29 CFR 1910.134 and European Standard EN 149; wear an MSHA/NIOSH or European Standard EN149 approved respirator.

http://www.smooth-on.com/index/view_msds.php?products_id=0098

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back