Props Sniper rifle reference model

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwoo

Jr Member
Does anyone have the 3d model of the sniper rifle that matches the ref pics posted in the gallery. I started comparing the model from the weapons model pack and it is not the same: thumbhole type stock, handguard under the barrel, no palm rest (that hook-looking thing under the handguard)...

I wanted to start a hi-res copy of the sniper rifle in the gallery, so I need accurate dimensions. Without a model I will have to resort to scaling measurements based on the few known dimensions like the magazine.

intended construction materials:
MDF
PVC pipe
aluminum stock

Thanks
-dwoo

EDIT
had to go make 6 or 7 post to hit the 50 mark just so I could add this pic. Tried to match the scales a bit.
[attachment=785:sniper_comparison.jpg]

Awesome!

I see cardboard, a 2x4, a metal broomstick handle, and paint.

Thanks for sharing this.

Here is a clean scaled comparison. I used the pixel coordinate system in MS Paint to accurately scale the rifles to their documented lengths (I know...no fancy graphics S/W).

Notice the pistol grips are huge and the length of pull (distance from shoulder to trigger) on the Halo:CE rifle is almost 1.5X that of the Barrett. I would think L of P would be shorter if you are padded up with body armor -- look at the troops in Iraq packing M4's w/ collapsed stocks b/c of their body armor.

[attachment=844:sniper_w..._barrett.JPG]

dwoo said:
Here is a clean scaled comparison. I used the pixel coordinate system in MS Paint to accurately scale the rifles to their documented lengths (I know...no fancy graphics S/W).

Notice the pistol grips are huge and the length of pull (distance from shoulder to trigger) on the Halo:CE rifle is almost 1.5X that of the Barrett. I would think L of P would be shorter if you are padded up with body armor -- look at the troops in Iraq packing M4's w/ collapsed stocks b/c of their body armor.

[attachment=844:sniper_w..._barrett.JPG]

That's the Halo3 sniper... Not 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the correction, I was afraid of that (I am 360 impaired).

The Halopedia specs for the H3 sniper are the same length as the H1 rifle -- 187.5cm (73.8in). That means this rifle would have to be enlarged even more to reach the proper length at the expense of throwing the ergonomics even further out of wack. As it is now, the shooter would have to have the hands and reach of an NBA player to shoulder the rifle and wrap your hand around the grip -- look at the real world Barrett for comparison. Now I know the Spartans are no regular guys but the sniper rifle is not a Spartan specific weapon.

Maybe the H3 specs of 187.5cm are wrong b/c I scaled the rifle to its current length based on the magazine width. And mag width is one thing that would remain constant from model to model as long as the same cartridge is used. In fact the mag width is right on for the 14.5x114mm cartridge length of 155.8mm (6.134in) plus a few mm's front and back of the round to account for the thickness of the magazine walls.

On the up-side, I like the idea of building the latest incarnation rifle.

-dwoo

cell said:
Awesome!

I see cardboard, a 2x4, a metal broomstick handle, and paint.

Thanks for sharing this.
Actually a 2 x 8 would be a better size.

MandoMan531 said:
I also want to make the H3 rifle but am VERY unsure of how big to make it.
What I did to find a good scale is built a test model out of cardstuff (you probably don't want to make it full scale 'cause it would be like 10 feet long), and it turned out prettymuch good.

OK, I edited in the correct Halo 3 caption to the second rifle but I kept it at the same length as the spec length for the Halo 2 rifle. As I've said before, if I resized the H3 rifle to 187.5cm I think it would look too big -- even bigger that the "oversized" H1 rifle. Maybe the specs are wrong about the H3 rifle length. It surely looks to have more in common with the H2 rifle than the H1 rifle.

I also tinkered with the grip and length of the stock to make its ergonomics closer to the Barrett and therefore more realistic . I thinned the grip and shortened the stock. The length that was lost on the stock, I added to the barrel. And then I noticed the changes I made brought the barrel to the same length as the Halo 1. (y)

[attachment=1161:sniper_w...t_edited.JPG]

I'm not sure why people are including the Barrett in the above photos.

The Halo sniper rifle actually was based off a South African sniper rifle called the NTW-20. Intended for everything but anti-personnel use. But who cares because it is a sweet rifle.

http://world.guns.ru/sniper/sn55-e.htm

ntw20_1.jpg

ntw20_2.jpg

Stelios said:
I'm not sure why people are including the Barrett in the above photos.

I chose the Barrett for that comparison b/c
-- it is of similar large caliber
-- its a left side profile pic to match the Halo images

The purpose of the pic is to illustrate the scale compared to a real life weapon from the same category. As much as I would have liked to use pics of a rifle directly related to the halo rifle, those iso view pics offer no way to judge dimensions for a potential build.

But, thanks for sharing the pics. :D

-dwoo

dwoo said:
The purpose of the pic is to illustrate the scale compared to a real life weapon from the same category. As much as I would have liked to use pics of a rifle directly related to the halo rifle, those iso view pics offer no way to judge dimensions for a potential build.
How about this angle...
Mechem_NTW-20.jpg

Thanks for the profile image D0096F.

Notice the H1 pistol grip and length of pull (trigger to shoulder) are still extreme compared to another real life rifle (the South African NWT-20). The un-edited H3 is just as bad, see previous posts of it.

[attachment=1273:sniper_w...0_edited.jpg]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back