Soldier/Infiltrator from Halo 4/5 Build [Currently Assembling Helmet] [BIG images!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiji

Soldier (Armor) / Infiltrator (Helmet) Build

Hello everyone! I've lurked here for a long time and finally got the will and time to start putting together my first suit.

With the help of the resources I've found here and elsewhere on the net, I am finally able to move forward on my custom Spartan IV.

It started when Halo 4 was still the flagship game for 343 and I could customize my Spartan. I settled on what I thought was the most practical armor and helmet.

I grinded my buttplate off in H5 to get the same setup. Soldier armor was easy to get. Here are some screenshots from H5:

(Click for high resolution)
zjsR3cCh.jpg

j7oBabfh.png

Picture is the Fenrir Helmet (new for H5). This will be the backup helmet I plan on building in case my Infiltrator Helmet (Pictured below) falls through.

UD6dG6A.jpg

-----------------------

First thing to note about this helmet: The visor is minimal and I won't be able to see forward. No worries here, I have a plan. But more on that in a later post.

The helmet will be the most complicated piece of this armor and will determine the path I go down depending on how the build goes. So I decided to start with it first.

Research led me to a few Pepakura files. Grabbed the program, made some edits and I'm sure the helmet is scaled properly. Print to PDF. 22 pages! Had my girl print it out for me on 110lb stock (she's a graphic designer, has access to good printers and paper).

x9FX2aLh.png

Before I began gluing this together, I figured I'd take a step back and start on more essential things too for the entire build.

A body form will definitely be needed. Will update in next post...

Attachments

• zjsR3cCh.jpg
    zjsR3cCh.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 737
  • j7oBabfh.png
    j7oBabfh.png
    104.3 KB · Views: 630
  • UD6dG6A.jpg
    UD6dG6A.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 2,854
  • x9FX2aLh.png
    x9FX2aLh.png
    113.3 KB · Views: 366
Re: Soldier/Infiltrator from Halo 4/5 Build [Currently Assembling Helmet] [BIG images

Decided a duct tape dummy bodyform was the way to go.

Did you know for a big guy like me (5'11, 250lbs) it takes over 190 yards of duct tape to make a solid bodyform?

This is a project you can't do by yourself. Had my girlfriends and another fellow costumer helping out. Fun being surrounded by ladies for several hours!

Commence the weird super saiyan armor!
gFz54bjl.jpg

Getting pretty stiff:
CDX5av0l.jpg

The thing about these body forms, is they aren't supposed to be flattering. In order to get a proper fit in all situations for various outfits and costumes, one must pronate their stomach as if sitting. I had my torso done while sitting on my portraiture chair (I'm a photographer) so my stomach would be pronated and extended at it's largest point. End product, I won't be forcing my belly forward in most of the shots and the suit will look a bit more aesthetic.

-------------

Realized part way through taping my torso my beard was long enough (officially a 1 year beard: Yeard!) to get caught in the tape. Bleh. Had to borrow my girlfriends hair tie to stop that pain from happening.

Z9Eu9Lwl.jpg

Filled it up with wads of grocery bags and expanding foam (Great Stuff Big Gap Filler). I still didn't have enough and will need to go back in and fill more gaps up later.

Things got weird...
EWdeaC3l.jpg

Now that you've seen the most unflattering thing I've probably ever posted online in my life.... On to the helmet build!

Attachments

• gFz54bjl.jpg
    gFz54bjl.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 223
  • CDX5av0l.jpg
    CDX5av0l.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 231
  • Z9Eu9Lwl.jpg
    Z9Eu9Lwl.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 255
  • EWdeaC3l.jpg
    EWdeaC3l.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 243
Re: Soldier/Infiltrator from Halo 4/5 Build [Currently Assembling Helmet] [BIG images

The girls and I dipped deep into our papercrafting skills from Kindergarten and whipped out the elmers glue, scotch tape and all the scissors in the house.

Again, the helmet we are building is the Infiltrator Helmet which has lots of little details all over it. I'm sure once I start the bondo process I'm going to need to sculpt in what was lost in the simplified Pep file.

Z1TwZz1.jpg

We started cutting the pieces out yesterday and gluing them together. The folding of these tiny flaps on 110lb stock is really really difficult.

fj2jK3cl.jpg

Figured out the first pages were building the crown and upper faceplate of the helmet once we sat back down earlier this evening to do more gluing.

18VnNIxl.jpg

3 people cutting, gluing and folding for hours and we're only about a 3rd of the way done.

IxFgiuKl.jpg

Tomorrow I plan on making as much progress on this helmet as humanly possible.

Attachments

• Z1TwZz1.jpg
    Z1TwZz1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 222
  • fj2jK3cl.jpg
    fj2jK3cl.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 252
  • 18VnNIxl.jpg
    18VnNIxl.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IxFgiuKl.jpg
    IxFgiuKl.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 253

Oh hey, thought this was funny as I didn't even think about it.

Right before I was getting ready for bed just now, I saw two things I forgot were related sitting on top of my dresser

fx1f2LAl.jpg

At least I have the knife already! One less thing to build!

Attachments

• fx1f2LAl.jpg
    fx1f2LAl.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 249

If you're not too invested in the project thus far, it might be worth looking into our raw Halo 5 OBJ Files for use in your project - the files are a lot more detailed and, while they need to be processed, they might make work easier down the road when it comes to smoothing and detailing your work.

You can find the raw Infiltrator armour files HERE and the Soldier files HERE - both links will open in a new window to allow you to save the packs directly.

Good luck with your project! You're a fairly heavy-set guy, so I'm sure you'll get the bulky supersoldier look you're aiming for.

If you're not too invested in the project thus far, it might be worth looking into our raw Halo 5 OBJ Files for use in your project - the files are a lot more detailed and, while they need to be processed, they might make work easier down the road when it comes to smoothing and detailing your work.

You can find the raw Infiltrator armour files HERE and the Soldier files HERE - both links will open in a new window to allow you to save the packs directly.

Good luck with your project! You're a fairly heavy-set guy, so I'm sure you'll get the bulky supersoldier look you're aiming for.

Yes! I've read a ton of your posts and got the Obj files! Appreciate the work in getting those.

oN2pWHnl.png

I'm continuously going to reference these as I build. Looking forward to showing my ideas on this super complicated project.

Attachments

• oN2pWHnl.png
    oN2pWHnl.png
    45 KB · Views: 277

Tiny little folds are really really time consuming to fold, glue and figure out where they are.

4pNr2kkl.jpg

I dread when I have to dewarp this helmet later.

Now on to more Halo 5!

mh4yuHIl.png

Attachments

• 4pNr2kkl.jpg
    4pNr2kkl.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 237
  • mh4yuHIl.png
    mh4yuHIl.png
    20.1 KB · Views: 254

did you do the duct tape wrap to get a body cast? How did you get it off? cut a slit down the sides and re tape it together then fill with foam?

did you do the duct tape wrap to get a body cast? How did you get it off? cut a slit down the sides and re tape it together then fill with foam?

So what I did, was wrapped myself in paper towels. Duct tape around those. Then I used my bandage/trauma scissors from my IFAK medkit from my vest to cut the suit off. Well, I had the girls cut me out of it straight down the seams of the outer arm. So you could step out of it like a weird wetsuit. We retaped it before filling with plastic bags and foam.

I don't think I will ever have the skill to make one of these suits :(

I don't think I will ever have the skill to make one of these suits :(

The only way to know is to try! Just take the bull by the horns and go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back