Southern California Regiment

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterChief

Jr Member
I've searched and searched, but it seems like no one has created a SoCal regiment for the 405th. We would go to ComicCon as a group and we could have an email group. I wanted to put it out there and see if people wanted to start that with me.

Haha no, well I mean if we don't get many people in our neck of the woods, we'll extend it to all of California, or you guys can open yours up to us!

Dang wish I lived down south lol

I tried searching is there anyone in the bay area. Specificly south bay area Silicon Valley? I am trying to get going on peping a suite for me and my five year old. Doing it with others will add motivation and hopefully solve mistakes. We can also pool finances for supplies etc. Also it is sometimes easier to do things with an extra set of hands!

Sorry for hijacking the thread...

Please return to your normal programing...

I think the main reason there aren't 'regiments' is because 405th isn't really official yet. But if you mean just getting a group together then why not? haha.

Ya I know they really aren't "regiments", but I mean just like a group that we can pretend is a regiment for now. haha to RW2009, if you give me some time, I can help you with what you need and I'll ship it up to you. We're a group! Thats what groups do. I'll be making a sig for our "All Cali Regiment" (that's not the name). I'll post it here for anyone in California, and then you guys can just send me a PM and then we'll go from there.

Old thread, but better to comment here than starting a new one, eh?

Hey fellow californians! I live up around the silicon valley currently, on the southernmost tip of fremont to be precise. I'll be moving down to San Diego for school in september.

If anyone ever wants to meet up, pool supplies, or anything like that, feel free to touch base with me!

This is a couple of months old dude. The mods might forgive you since the thread isn't that old(heh better than commenting on something that was made in 2007 lol). Try to beg for forgiveness no matter how hard they yell at ya.

Good idea in the whole California thing though.

-Pony

Well he did the right thing...

He came across this thread, meaning he searched before creating a topic on the same subject.

He's adding useful info to the topic as well...

Yeah. I realize this thread is a bit on the older side, and also any sort of regional organization isn't likely to happen soon since getting the basic structure of the 405th (requirements, fees, etc.) organized is still in the works.

Still, I ran into a bunch of people at Anime Expo in LA who had either heard about the 405th or were members (insert MC Hammer time and Bopx shoutout here) and figured this was worth a little bump, since I know there are other people in SoCal who attend cons such as ComicCon (such as Enrisan). Good a place as any to get organized! It'd be great to meet up with other people not only to work on and share projects, but also to see if there are any interesting conventions and such to go to. Currently I just go to anime conventions, where i look slightly out of place. =P I think it'd be great to get something organized for ComicCon along the lines of what appears to be worked on for DragonCon.

I forgot to mention that come september, while I'll be living in San Diego in September, I'll also have to travel on a regular (pretty much monthly basis) to the bay area. Useful for linking people between norcal/socal since that's a decent chunk of distance between the two.

As a sidenote, of course if any mods have an issue with me bringing up this old thread, not only will I beg forgiveness, I will also bake cookies. Or get my buddy's little sister to bake cookies since I suck at baking. I'll just put little icing grunt faces on them.

Well now I kind of want to do that anyways.

Since it looks like some recent activity and interest may be here. I am also in Socal. I would love to find other socal costumers who are serious and somewhat capable and or dedicated to thier craft. I am attending San Diego Comicon and would be delighted to meet other 405th folks. PM me we can exchange contact info.

Unfortunately I can't make it to Comiccon this year as the tickets are all sold out. But I believe Enrisan may be going. :) He mentioned it in my ODST WIP thread when I said I was heading to Anime Expo.

I would love to be part of the California Regiment. Actually, i've always been partial to the organization of the 501st, and think it would be a

great leap forward for the 405th if we had garrions, regiments, and squads...though maybe something more halo-inspired; battalions, fire-teams, etc.

you get the idea..

but i'm totally down to join the SoCal Fire-team, and participate in events, cons, or charity functions (though the 501st is a little bit

less threatening to people in that department, as people are more familiar with Star Wars than Halo, generally speaking.).

Count me in.

Im fairly certain I spotted some folks from here in pepped gear at SDCC. I was trapped in a Vader suit at the Star Wars booth and was unable to cry out for help. PM me if anyone Cali folks want to start organizing and meet up fo costuming weekends or just meeting up in general. Im located near San Bernadino.

I just saw this thread but Trooper is correct, I'm also in southern Cali and I attended Comic Con.

I plan on going again next year and maybe to some other conventions.

I was wasting time on photoshop last night, and i did a quick little logo. tell me what you think. (pic links to bigger version)

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge said:
I was wasting time on photoshop last night, and i did a quick little logo. tell me what you think. (pic links to bigger version)

Looks pretty damn cool to me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome logo.

You got me thinking about organizing this up a bit more. :) I know the 405th isn't "official" since everyone, especially the admins, are busy making costumes. I know I'm too busy to work on anything super organized! Still, some brainstorming ideas. Sorry if it's kind of rambling. Just thinking out loud.

7th Charlie Alpha Co, while clever in its use of 7 and CA, isn't a good military name. =P A company will typically just have a letter designation.

The normal organization for Marines goes:

Division

Regiment (for infantry/artillery)

Battalion

Company

Platoon

So something like...1/77 = 1st Battalion 77th Marines (Regiment).

77th Marines being the regiment portrayed in the "Believe" ad campaign if I'm not mistaken.

Something without a regiment usually refers to a special purpose unit. In the US marines, an example would be a tank, recon, or amphib assault battalion. In Halo, this would be like an ODST battalion. Due to the scarcity of completed costumes, it's probably best not to segregate based on costume type at this stage.

Then you have two companies, based off geographics. ex: C Co. for Bay area/norcal, A Co. for So cal. Or something like that.

=====

Now what would be some of the purposes of designating a california or a norcal/socal "unit"? What would the purposes be?

One obvious idea is to have gatherings similar to what Dave has at his place in Texas. This would be a great opportunity to get together, show off creations, swap tips, share molds, and even have simple fun such as LAN or BBQ.

A second idea is convention organization. By having a known list of people in an area, it can be easier to organize carpools, hotel room sharing, and at-con events such as masquerade entries, panels, etc. Some notable conventions that come to mind are Comiccon in SD, Wondercon (Comiccon's offshoot) in SF, and heck, even PAX (the Amtrack ride up sounds awesome, and carpools are feasable. PAX isn't big on costuming, but it's a video game expo and Bungie's right next door)

As far as charity events go, once things are more organized and there's more costumers available, we can look into it. Some obvious ideas would be things such as hosting Halo tournaments to raise money to donate to an established charity (such as Child's Play).

Allow for easier trades/swaps of props. Because shipping is expensive so being able to offload some spare parts to someone local is far more appealing, especially for things such as completed pepakura pieces which are difficult to ship.

Any other ideas?

here's a quick easily accessible list for people to reference. I'll it update as I can unless Misterchief sticks it in the origianl post.

Norcal

Humboldt_spartan - Eureka

Rougewarrior - Sunnyvale

Socal

Misterchief - LA

Drgnfyre4 - Socal

Bigolaf - Anaheim

Enrisan - Socal

Roodkill's group - Socal

And of course, I'm the odd man out since I'll need to travel between the bay area and SD on a pretty frequent basis. At least far more frequent than my wallet would like.

Sounds like we found a Norcal/SoCal liason!

I was hoping someone else would organize it better. I will adjust the logo to match our new designation.

This is awesome.

EDIT:

Here is a new logo. A Work in progress until we finalize things.

And don't forget that the spartans are Navy petty officers/noncoms...swabbies are 405th too.

But this is gonna be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back