Spakle Armor-iron Man

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaalt

Jr Member
this is my first time posting a topic on here so i dont wanna sound dumb. i tried searching around the forums to see if anyone has every used spakle on their armor instead of bondo. i just finished fiberglassing my iron man helmet and ran outta money to buy some more bondo, but i do have plenty of spakle around so if anyone has ever tried using spakle with a layer of resin on top of it or has input i'd like to know.

0514091049.jpg

here is the helmet fiberglassed and painted to see if i got the colors close enough.

Richie said:
http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry272476

I use it. I didn't fiberglass my helmet, just resin it so it flexes a little which causes some areas to crack when moved. I do plan to use bondo over the spakle when I can afford it.

Thanks that did help out. great pictures you have up. my iron man helmet is pretty strong from a couple layers of fiberglass so i think i might try the spakle then add a coat of resin on top of the spakle when dry to see if that will make it smooth and not crack. i dont get paid till next week and im in the mood to really get more work done with my project so i will try anything lol. Thanks again for the post.

Last edited by a moderator:
i've never used spakle before on a helmet , but one time a few years ago i tried to add some curves on one of my r/c cars with spakle , and it just ended up chipping and falling off,(granted , it did hit a few walls at 30mph or so ,pretty F!@#'n fast for an xmod) my advice is to just go with the bondo , it'll be better for you in the long run , nice iron man helmet btw ,

Humboldt_spartan said:
i've never used spakle before on a helmet , but one time a few years ago i tried to add some curves on one of my r/c cars with spakle , and it just ended up chipping and falling off,(granted , it did hit a few walls at 30mph or so ,pretty F!@#'n fast for an xmod) my advice is to just go with the bondo , it'll be better for you in the long run , nice iron man helmet btw ,

thank you :D . yea i may just hold off till next week to finish then. haha the r/c car chipping sounds hillarious.

I use spackle a lot. Specifically, lightweight spackle. It works well on things that don't have a lot of detail and have been made so that they don't flex a lot. I think the only example I have on here though is my recon helmet that is still far from finished. Putting a thin layer of resin over the spackle does help strengthen it considerably, but the spackle has a tendency to soak up the resin, so you may have to go back over it in a few spots with more resin. Other than that, you should be fine.

Malechei said:
I use spackle a lot. Specifically, lightweight spackle. It works well on things that don't have a lot of detail and have been made so that they don't flex a lot. I think the only example I have on here though is my recon helmet that is still far from finished. Putting a thin layer of resin over the spackle does help strengthen it considerably, but the spackle has a tendency to soak up the resin, so you may have to go back over it in a few spots with more resin. Other than that, you should be fine.

perfect i was just thinking about if it will soak up the resin so that cleared it up for me. and their isnt really any detail on the helmet to worry about so. hopefully after work i'll experiment with it and see how well it hold up then post new pics up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back