Spartan Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

hm0

Started this the night before last so its pretty rough. I hope to do the full armor.

4vrhis3.jpg

More pics down

I must say, that's damn fine! What else have you made, this can't be your first build. What material are you using, is it just clay?

papamurf812 said:
I must say, that's damn fine! What else have you made, this can't be your first build. What material are you using, is it just clay?
Thanks!
This is my first time doing anything halo/armor related. Yeah the sculpture is just clay on an armature and I hope to cast it in fibreglass (never used it before though).

Last edited by a moderator:
I am impressed, but could I make a suggestion?
You need to make the jaw piece a little bit bigger, the visor won't fit with the way it is now.

Just a thought :whistle:

Leadingspartan said:
Looks Very Familiar Slight Differences but now blue realm has alot of competition
[attachment=426:day02pic02.jpg]

4vrhis3.jpg

I like his better, in halo 3 master chief seems... leaner.

very nice!

poosnicles said:
looks amazing but can you take pics of the prosses and stuff of you molding it and casting and what not plz?
Ya that would be cool, nice job. Im not sure i fyou can just go straight to fiberglass or not, dont you have to do the rubber and lots of other stuff? I dont know much but ive read a lot. Just wanted to warn you.

I really want to start sculpting my helm. But what type of clay id you use? Air dry, water based, oil based? Pleas i need to know

smilie120 said:
I really want to start sculpting my helm. But what type of clay id you use? Air dry, water based, oil based? Pleas i need to know
You can use whatever clay you're comfortable with, some people think a harder oil based clay is preferable to produce the smooth as glass effect of the helmet but someone who is experienced with water based clay can produce the same effect. If you're a beginner I'd recommend a softer oil based clay. Something like Chavant "le beau touche". I'm using Klean Klay because it's all I had but I wouldn't recommend it for sculpting as it's a bit sticky or something.

I do plan on beefing up the bottom jaw I don't think it comes up high enough.

I'll try to take as many pictures as I can of the process.

Edit:

Still have to refine some forms and smooth it all out but here is an update.

5z5v9xu.jpg

4y81v5x.jpg

WOW!
this is amazing! this will be direct bluerealm competition if it is well detailed!
(make sure you get a good visor)

WOW thats lookin' spiffy looks quite similar to Seans. Btw i have 3 more questions.

1. I though oil based clay doesent harden.

and

2. if i made a plaster mold of the helm would i have to disect the clay mold?

and finaly,

3. Wouldent the plaster adhere (or stick to) the clay as it dries?

smilie120 said:
WOW thats lookin' spiffy looks quite similar to Seans. Btw i have 3 more questions.

1. I though oil based clay doesent harden.

and

2. if i made a plaster mold of the helm would i have to disect the clay mold?

and finaly,

3. Wouldent the plaster adhere (or stick to) the clay as it dries?

Thanks guys.

1. No oil based doesn't dry but it comes in different hardnesses.

2. If you're going to be casting in something hard it's best to use a flexible medium for the mold like silicone, urethane or maybe latex.

3. Before making any mold a release agent it used, if I were making a plaster mold of a oil based sculpture I'd use Krylon clear coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back