Spray Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twitchfmx8811

Would it be possible to use a spray resin when doing the fiberglassing on the inside of pieces. I just got done with the helm and it was ungodly messy. The frays kept making the brush unworkable. And when doing the inside of the forearms and shins it would be almost impossible to do. Or would just buying resin with fiberglass fiber already in the mix be better?

Resin with fibers mixed in is not good stuff... rule of thumb... if its pre mixed body work materials, its probably not as good....

you can try cloth fiberglass instead of mat, and the fact that you are going to ruin brushes... well thats just an eventuallity with fiberglass work... no real way around that... Find a dollar store. by a ton of cheap ones...

Spray Resin should be more expensive per ounce than if you bought it by other means.... plus I would not use resin like that for Fiberglass work... its pre mixed in the can... not as good. I wouldn't use a resin, bondo putty, or glaze material that you don't mix with a hardner... its just not as good.

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Would it be possible to use a spray resin when doing the fiberglassing on the inside of pieces. I just got done with the helm and it was ungodly messy. The frays kept making the brush unworkable. And when doing the inside of the forearms and shins it would be almost impossible to do. Or would just buying resin with fiberglass fiber already in the mix be better?

You could spray resin, and while its tacky I guess lay down the cloth. I didnt know they made resin with the fiberglass fiber in it already?

It's not too hard, just grab yourself some spray adhesive or, as I did it, a hot glue gun. Spray, lay adhesive. Or drop of glue, lay adhesive. Rinse, Repeat. Once you get it all down in place, then go ahead and glop resin on your brush and dab dab dab dab dab. Shouldn't have too much of a fiber in brush issue, but if you do, its disposable anyway. I usually only get 1 step (first coat of resin, 2nd coat of resin, 3rd coat resin on inside, fiberglass, 4th coat resin). Took 4 brushes to do that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know using brushes is just part of it. I am using cloth. But it was just a nightmare. I used a spray adhesive to glue the cloth down. (Did that last night) Just when I went to use the resin every single loose strand went straight to the brush and would not come off. I was just wondering if using a spray resin on top of that would do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back