Steel Reinforced Resin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent ZX

I was wondering of how to make resin reinforced, and I forgot all about additives. Try adding powdered stainless steel into your batches. It makes it thicker, and pastey, but it really does add a lot of strength. A better material is Aluminum. Usually, can sometimes buy it from stores online 5 pounds for like 30 bucks. I know some people even mix it into their paints. They use it in cold casting also. Try adding it when building up your chest armor, and other large flat areas where it doesn't need a lot of flexibility. The more layers you add, the more metal-like it will get. Adding it to your bondo works also. But experiment with a small quantity first before right ahead of application. Sometimes you need to decrease hardener for more flexibility. I used to use epoxy-steel combo to fix cracks in all kinds of stress ridden metal. It works pretty darn good. For the most part, and permanent too.

Thats a good idea. I may try this on a paper cube and see how it turns out before I use it on a huge piece.

Burns at 2400 degrees Celsius!

That's why you kids aren't going to hear about the third step required to turn the two powders into the surface of the sun!

Moz said:
Burns at 2400 degrees Celsius!

That's why you kids aren't going to hear about the third step required to turn the two powders into the surface of the sun!

While discussing ways to reproduce marine armor, my friend and I came up with this idea to make it more "functional" and able to with stand beatings... I'll let you know if we go ahead with it or any other little nips of information we gain from our local College of Engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering, where do you get powdered metals anyway? I was actually interested in making some thermite but I've since come to the conclusion that is a bad idea, so I f orgot where to find the materials. I remember you can get iron oxide from an art store, but can you get powdered steel there too?

*Recalls thermite being put on a car's hood and the vehicle turning inexplicably into a pile of goo...* :D

Vexona said:
*Recalls thermite being put on a car's hood and the vehicle turning inexplicably into a pile of goo...* :D

*Recalls having to be woken up at 2:45 on a cold December morning because some jerk thought it would be a good idea to do that to a brand new stolen vehicle, thus causing me to actually have to put on my turnouts and fight the fire. FIRE ENGINE WATER IS COLD. AT 2:45 ON A DECEMBER MORNING ITS FREEZING.

Please, Think of the Fire Fighters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back