Step by step where to start for your 3d printing journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazen

Can we get a pro to consolidate some info into this thread for us?

Step one: get a printer and the programs your going to need... What are they and what are the alternatives? Pros and cons of each.

steps after this i have no idea im a total noob and dont even know what to research to get to a functional point.. HALLLP

Step one: get a printer and the programs your going to need... What are they and what are the alternatives? Pros and cons of each.

steps after this i have no idea im a total noob and dont even know what to research to get to a functional point.. HALLLP
I would recommend going with an inexpensive small scale printer like the ender 3 pro, which is like 189$, to learn on. You'll need some form of modeling software to cut up models and a slicer software. For a modeling software I recommend blender because it's free and there are a lot of tutorials out there for it and it's relatively easy to cut up 3D models in it. Next you will need some sort of slicer. I've used Cura, which is also free, and I haven't had any issues with it. Most importantly you are going to need a computer that can handle the modeling and slicing software, be prepared to wait on large models no matter what computer you have though. If recommend starting with PLA filament because it's pretty inexpensive, you don't need an enclosed printer like you do with ABS, and its not as tempermental about temperature changes while printing like PETG (from what I've heard). I don't recommend getting a large printer like a CR10 S5 to start even though it can print full helmets and chest pieces at a time. I completely recommend working your way up and doing at least one suit on a small scale printer to learn FDMs problems and what prints look like as parts begin to wear out. If you want to look at what cutting apart a model looks like with blender I just made a video that shows a brief explanation of it. Feel free to ask me any questions I'm on the forum pretty much daily!

DeltaAlphaZulu thanks man... i got Cura and meshmixer for slicing and cutting up prints. only thing i will need program wise other than them should be armorsmith. too poor to buy it atm. but its in the works.

printer wise im looking into a open box ender 3 pro from a place about an hour away from me that has a bunch of them for about 138 bucks after tax

DeltaAlphaZulu thanks man... i got Cura and meshmixer for slicing and cutting up prints. only thing i will need program wise other than them should be armorsmith. too poor to buy it atm. but its in the works.
You really don't need armorsmith if you can convert percentages. For example I printed my parts at 25% to 50% scale and measured them then I measured myself and converted the precentage until I was able to get to a precentage scale that would fit me. Most parts printed in 15 to 30 minutes and used pennies worth of filaments.

Last edited:
printer wise im looking into a open box ender 3 pro from a place about an hour away from me that has a bunch of them for about 138 bucks after tax
If it's not still packaged well for the most part I would look at the extruder gear to see how worn out it is, if it's still press fitted on and it looks like the teeth don't have a U worn in it, it probably wasn't used to much. Aside from that the Ender 3 Pro isn't too bad to set up. Also make extra sure it has the SD card and the usb adapter for it with it still, you'll need both of those for software and your first test print.

DeltaAlphaZulu besides a benchy or 12 what do you recommend as fun first print?
I know that I'm about to start printing a DMR I found on thingiverse. The guy split it so it should easily be printable on an ender 3, looks like it'll take a roll or two of filament and be pretty simple to clean up and paint. It's also a prop so there's no need to stress about scale. Aside from that there's alot of goofy benchys on thingiverse that some people really put time into that look like they'd be fun first prints.

yes we have a thread right here.
While it may not be the most accurate thing the forum search bar can take generalized terms quite well! Searching "3d printer" in the tags section will help yield quite a few results from people's various experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back