Stormy87 MK VI Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormy87

Jr Member
UPDATED AUGUST 16 2013 IN A REPLY

Hello all. It has been a long time since I have made a post but I am finally making a MK VI Helmet.
I started my Hayabusa helmet in 2009 and it took almost a year to finish the whole armor.

8j20p.jpg

My goal is to have the helmet done for Chicago Comic Con. I have it mostly finished so my next few posts will be photo heavy.

I applied the resin with a sponge brush so it globbed on pretty thick. I will be using a hair brush from now on.
bTHxv3w.jpg

This is the first project where I used an electric sander. They are amazing. It made smoothing Bondo so much easier. They are pretty cheap too.
Spraying with a coat of primer really helped find the imperfections and globs of resin to sand down.
IoBy8EZ.jpg

ohkASkx.jpg

As you can see it is a bit warped. I can never get my peps to stay firm when I resin them.
e2Aav6s.jpg

The week I picked to sand was 90F and I was wearing a jumpsuit to stay dust free. It was way too hot.

After finishing sanding I added some details made out of matte board.
Nc7SJkx.jpg

For mounting the visor I used Blackula727's tutorial located here

I used attached 3 nuts to the inside of the helmet with Locktite putty epoxy. It is very nice and it sands well like bondo.

vUg1wK8.jpg

I then crammed putty between the visor and helmet to make a good seal. This was then sanded down and blended.
NhdBHxn.jpg
aIAmGPT.jpg

Next update will be painting.

8j20p.jpg

bTHxv3w.jpg

IoBy8EZ.jpg

ohkASkx.jpg

e2Aav6s.jpg

Nc7SJkx.jpg

vUg1wK8.jpg

NhdBHxn.jpg

aIAmGPT.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like you're well on your way to a great helmet. Nice work! :D

This time I tried the chipped paint look by first painting on a chrome color. I then dabbed on Vaseline to spots where I wanted the paint to chip off. This worked out really well and I recommend it. The paint chips are very convincing. Using tape to remove the bits of chipping paint works great.
qLAlx4g.jpg

bIEzNNc.jpg

After the red dried and the chips were removed I masked off for the yellow stripe and repeated the Vaseline method. I did not take pics of the process.
u7wIS62.jpg

Next I masked off the black details.

MQosOWA.jpg

Here is a vine I made also. https://vine.co/v/hqivx9ZeQav

Next up is detail and lights.

Attachments

• qLAlx4g.jpg
    qLAlx4g.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 119
  • MQosOWA.jpg
    MQosOWA.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 130
  • u7wIS62.jpg
    u7wIS62.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 107
  • bIEzNNc.jpg
    bIEzNNc.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 123
I bought the LED kit from Thatdecade here LINK.
I bought the 10mm LEDs. This was my first time soldering so it is sloppy but it worked.

dagg3m4.jpg

I just drilled holes the correct size and used the wiring diagram that came with the kit. The wire I bought was way too thick but it worked.
1daCZa0.jpg

After I put the lights in I clear coated with a satin finish.
For the neck shroud I used foam material used for works mats. It worked pretty well.
otnCt9c.jpg

alPLOX6.jpg

Here is it beside my old Hayabusa. The Hayabuse was way too small, it barely fits.
PlwkJ5B.jpg

vE5gYoi.jpg

I will post photos from Chicago Comic Con soon.

Attachments

• dagg3m4.jpg
    dagg3m4.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 1daCZa0.jpg
    1daCZa0.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 117
  • alPLOX6.jpg
    alPLOX6.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 112
  • otnCt9c.jpg
    otnCt9c.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 119
  • vE5gYoi.jpg
    vE5gYoi.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 128
  • PlwkJ5B.jpg
    PlwkJ5B.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 118
looks AMAZING but thes a liquid mask that most hobby shops carry that works better then vaseline and doesnt have the issue of excess oil being left on. its only a few dollars a bottle and you can pull off scratches by dipping the back end of the paint brush in and then dragging it.

its a green goopy stuff. very small bottle.

your gear looks great. nice job using the vaseline mask. wasnt sure you knew about the liquid mask.
nice colors too lol my SCA colors are red/yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back