Styrene Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone made any styrene armor since Sean Bradley? And if anyone has any FA or Q on styrene armor making then put it here. It'd be nice to get a good thread going. Anyone know how to bend it ect? I actually mean using styrene without vacuforming. Like you (as Sean suggested) pepakura styrene and maby use a filler for the joints. Youd have nice armor if you could figure it all out.

Master Chef said:
Has anyone made any styrene armor since Sean Bradley? And if anyone has any FA or Q on styrene armor making then put it here. It'd be nice to get a good thread going. Anyone know how to bend it ect? I actually mean using styrene without vacuforming. Like you (as Sean suggested) pepakura styrene and maby use a filler for the joints. Youd have nice armor if you could figure it all out.

As a matter of fact, like Sean I too am building my Mk VI MJOLNIR armour out of good ol' sheet styrene. I've gotten pretty far along with the helmet (I'm making the HALO 3 variant using the HALO 2 Pepakura template as a base, so adding the extra details is taking some time), and once done the rest of the armour build should go quickly. I'm not sure what else you're looking for in terms of Q & A on building styrene armour, but as for how to "bend" it, simply score a light line in it and apply a little bit of pressure along the score line to snap it half-way through... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the feedback! Those links were AMAZING! I'm pretty sure I want to do my helmet in Styrene now. Does anyone know how long it takes to build styrene armor from scratch? Is it only a little slower than say pepakura? And to those who have made styrene armor, did you use the pepakura templates exactly or did you modify the design? Do you cut on the inside of the bend or the outside? Sorry for all the questions!

SAPARTAN 2, your armor design sounds very interesting. Could you post some pictures of what you've done so far or how your doing it?

Based on my own progress with building my MJOLNIR armour in this manner, I'm just now finishing up with my helmet. Granted, that's due to the fact that I didn't devote as much time as I would've liked, as occasional trips to the hospital and many late hours at work ate a good portion of my spare time.

If I'd been able to do, say, 3-4 hours of work each night (I'm talking Monday through Friday, plus all day weekends) I would definately be much further along with my build. If you really commit yourself to the task, you should be able to get yours done in a relatively short time. I don't know if it would be in time for HALOween, but probably just after.

Now, to answer your question of "is it only a little slower than say Pepakura?", well... it all depends on who you ask. I've seen some people just breeze right through thier Pepakura build, and others take significantly longer. In a case such as mine, I would say that it does take a little longer, as first I printed out/folded/glued the Pepakura model and then began adhering/layering the styrene over that.

I guess that bit of info also helped to answer your second question, "did you use Pepakura templates or did you modify the design?". Regarding the second part of that question, as I'd mentioned in my previous post here, since I am using the HALO 2 Pepakura template (before I would've had access to the HALO 3 one) some of the details -- ie. indent at bottom-front of visor, vents at top-front of helmet, etc.) I've had to put a considerable amount of time in cutting out what little detail was there in the template and replace it with more in-game accurate details.

Rather time-consuming I know, but when done it'll be very rewarding, and I'll be a whole lot happier with the end result.

Pertaining to pics, unfortunately the digital camera I purchased a little while back, although nice (and was on sale), is USB2 whereas my old piece o' junk computer (five years old now, yeesh) is only USB1 compatible. So, I could take pics of my work/progress thus far but unfortunately would not be able to transfer them to my hard drive and then post them here *sigh*. I am hoping to rectify that situation soon enough so I can show others my work.

Anyway, I hope some of what I said above is of some use to you... :D

Hey, this sounds like a good idea. Would it be a cheaper alternative to resining/fiberglassing? I looked up sheet styrene and it appears to be cheaper. Also, would I need a special type of glue for it? any other info is appreciated.

Very sorry if this is thread-jacking.

Also, good luck on your armor!

No prob. Thread jacking is good...keeps discussion going. You need model glue. The fancy name is...i forget. It will be labeled as liquid cement forplastic models. Polystyrene or ABS plastic. USE SPARINGLY> If too much is used the plastic will never harden back up and get mushy. Use THIN TINY LINE or TINY DROPS. Nothings worse than ****ing up a model by melting it.

Master Chef said:
No prob. Thread jacking is good...keeps discussion going. You need model glue. The fancy name is...i forget. It will be labeled as liquid cement forplastic models. Polystyrene or ABS plastic. USE SPARINGLY> If too much is used the plastic will never harden back up and get mushy. Use THIN TINY LINE or TINY DROPS. Nothings worse than ****ing up a model by melting it.

You can also use plain ol' hardware store lacquer thinner...it seems to work the same on styrene! But MUCH, MUCH cheaper.

BlindSquirrel said:
You can also use plain ol' hardware store lacquer thinner...it seems to work the same on styrene! But MUCH, MUCH cheaper.

Necro This thread is like 2 years old

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back