Taking the leap... ODST helmet WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

herotrooper

Hey 405th. After a bit of lurking around on the site, I thought I would give it the old college try. At first, I couldn't decide whether to do an ODST or Master Chief MK7 build. After some poking around and a few chats with friends, the paper was printed. This is my first complete pep project and I'm pretty relieved I didn't absolutely destroy it. Anyways, enough with the chit chat. I know you folks like pics...

This was the beginning...

E9ABF9FA-6B82-4CA7-B4B9-1CF4040046CE-12251-00000CB6750E8A58.jpg

80DC2A47-7F4C-40FD-AF2D-41B6A263B415-12251-00000CB681106703.jpg

Done!

5055CA88-DA5F-471F-80D9-8282068846E2-61593-000006F47377CDF7.jpg

0E2B1016-8E6F-4314-B5AC-6561D8B48AA2-61593-000006F4D256663B.jpg

1165DE73-048F-4369-8C54-FCEFFDE198EB-61593-000006F4E2A7A207.jpg

Doesn't look too warped...
C3B1F372-74B6-4E6B-8623-EFC639FA3866-61593-000006F4FCCFF728.jpg

Helmet on!
04AA0449-4B8D-4D6D-B2BC-606C457B0682-61593-000006F4F10EA84C.jpg

Big shout of to Kirrou! Thanks a ton, it is awesome!
1F9354F0-BAA1-45C6-859E-81F3704113DF-61593-000006F50DF6F074.jpg

Hopefully I get this right, :p. Let me know what you think, and also if you think it's a good fit. I hope I scaled it right. The LD file I tried was waaaaay to big. Thanks guys!

Good pepping man!

dang great pep work man keep up the good work :)

Looking Good!

Very nice!!! I cant wait to see more!

Helmet pep looks like perfection, dude.

Thanks guys! Hoping to try and get to the same level of awesomeness I see daily here.

looks like another good lookin' ODST helmet.

Thanks duder. Yours did look great! Too bad it got ruined, :( . Need to see an update from you soon.

Need a bit of help before I resin the bucket though. The bottom/neck area seems to collapse in a bit (really not much at all, but it bothers me) and I'm just wondering if I should add some supports in the opening to keep it from being narrow, or is this how the helmet is supposed to be?

Thanks again! Glad to finally be apart of it!

I would put in some supports personally. You can always shave them down or take a little bit off during the bondo stage.

Great bucket by the way.

This is your first attempt? Looks amazing for a first try! What hardening process are you going to use? Are you going with strictly the resin and fiberglass followed by the bondo or are you going to rondo the inside?

WOOPS!

Epic build in the make here buddy! Great pepwork! VERY clean by the looks of it! Congratulations! Keep up the great work but above all! KEep the updates coming and have fun!

About the bottom:

When you resin this beauty. Put a large can or something INSIDE the helmet to rest upon. NOT touching the surface underneath the helmet. Once you've done your resin and bondo or rondo or whatever your fancy you´ll find out that the bottom neck seal wil probably be in the way for you to comfortably wear and put on or take of the helmet. You'll end up sanding this down or cutting partially away. This is due to the fact that all these helmets come from game models. And they design game models in such a way that doesn´t really take into account real use of the thing.

Just think of it. Ever seen a one piece helmet from the middle ages or something have inward bent neck seal? I haven´t seen one so far.

Still, avoid having it touch the ground/working surface when resining. This will prevent warping.

Good luck!

P.s. WEAR SAFTY RESPIRATOR AND GLASSES AT ALL TIMES when doing that kind of stuff. ONE tiny spatter of resin into your eye can get you into a sh1tload of woe!

I would put in some supports personally. You can always shave them down or take a little bit off during the bondo stage.

Great bucket by the way.

Yea, I'm thinking of adding in a bit of support. Not too much though. I don't want to make it look weird, lol. Just enough to open up to neck opening a tad. Thanks for the input and support :)

awesome looking pep! cant wait to see it resined

Thanks man. Might be tonight. If not, it will be done Sunday. Tomorrow is snowboarding!

This is your first attempt? Looks amazing for a first try! What hardening process are you going to use? Are you going with strictly the resin and fiberglass followed by the bondo or are you going to rondo the inside?

This is my first attempt at a helmet, yes. Thanks! I'm going to be using the resin and fiberglass route. It's something I know, and I can do pretty well. Maybe I'll have a look at rondo for the next helmet.

WOOPS!

Epic build in the make here buddy! Great pepwork! VERY clean by the looks of it! Congratulations! Keep up the great work but above all! KEep the updates coming and have fun!

About the bottom:

When you resin this beauty. Put a large can or something INSIDE the helmet to rest upon. NOT touching the surface underneath the helmet. Once you've done your resin and bondo or rondo or whatever your fancy you´ll find out that the bottom neck seal wil probably be in the way for you to comfortably wear and put on or take of the helmet. You'll end up sanding this down or cutting partially away. This is due to the fact that all these helmets come from game models. And they design game models in such a way that doesn´t really take into account real use of the thing.

Just think of it. Ever seen a one piece helmet from the middle ages or something have inward bent neck seal? I haven´t seen one so far.

Still, avoid having it touch the ground/working surface when resining. This will prevent warping.

Good luck!

P.s. WEAR SAFTY RESPIRATOR AND GLASSES AT ALL TIMES when doing that kind of stuff. ONE tiny spatter of resin into your eye can get you into a sh1tload of woe!

Hey, thanks man! Much appreciated from everyone here. It's a great community with tons of talent, and I'm glad to be apart of it. :)

About the bottom, noted! Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to add some supports in just to be safe. The neck opening rubs my ears ever so slightly, so opening it maybe 1/2 inch on each side should be good.

You are also correct about the middle ages helmets, lol. I did a quick google search. I also looked at samurai helmets (mainly because I love them) and looks like its the same deal. Although they do have some neck covering, much like a neck seal.

Thanks for the safety concern, but I got it covered. I'm a body man by trade, so I know the deal :)

That is pretty awesome looking. It always looks like a 3rd grader has put the pep together whenever I try. Can't wait to see more.

Haha. I'm sure you will get better if you keep trying. Practice may not always make perfect, but it will get ya darn close ;)

Alright guys, this isn't really an update... but I need your help once again. I'm quite nervous about resining this tomorrow, and I want to make sure it's to scale before I do. Please, just give me some reassurance on this one. Here's some pics..

D78BE92A-5EB6-410B-B673-0E2492CA5674-79462-000008FC44227A46.jpg

67B7AC36-2C4F-48F1-BF20-F1A6AFD5A09D-79462-000008FC50648580.jpg

F5986D31-2C55-4847-A7E3-BD433EE6E167-79462-000008FC5C4B7248.jpg

If you think it's up to snuff, I will resin and update tomorrow! :)

Looks good. My only input would be to make sure you have room between your head and the helmet for padding. With my craft paper helmet I put a folded balaclava on my head to mimick the padding. I know mine catches my ears when I put it on, but I'm planning my set to be slightly smaller than the scale says it should be.

Sounds good man. This was with a thin toque on just to see. I know the padding will be about a 1/2 inch to an inch thick. I'm pretty sure all the padding will fit fine. My only concern is that in the end, it may be a tad big.

Sounds good man. This was with a thin toque on just to see. I know the padding will be about a 1/2 inch to an inch thick. I'm pretty sure all the padding will fit fine. My only concern is that in the end, it may be a tad big.

I'd have to agree with the others and say that helmet looks spot-on.

My helmet for the SCA looks gargantuan on me, major bobble-head status until I also suit up my underarmour, gambeson, and mail. Also, if you put on a ballistic helmet without the body armour, you get the same bobble-head effect. It's be the same with this. Actually I've noticed quite a few ODST builds on here that look stellar, minus the helmet actually appears to be too small.

A quick check you can do on your own: most people forget a helmet is designed to protect the wearer's head. It isn't just a ball-cap. If you have a bicycle helmet, construction helmet, anything that has adjustable/removable padding really, stick those inside your pep helmet and check if it still fits well on your head. If it does, then you've got a good ODST helmet.

MSgt

I'd have to agree with the others and say that helmet looks spot-on.

My helmet for the SCA looks gargantuan on me, major bobble-head status until I also suit up my underarmour, gambeson, and mail. Also, if you put on a ballistic helmet without the body armour, you get the same bobble-head effect. It's be the same with this. Actually I've noticed quite a few ODST builds on here that look stellar, minus the helmet actually appears to be too small.

A quick check you can do on your own: most people forget a helmet is designed to protect the wearer's head. It isn't just a ball-cap. If you have a bicycle helmet, construction helmet, anything that has adjustable/removable padding really, stick those inside your pep helmet and check if it still fits well on your head. If it does, then you've got a good ODST helmet.

MSgt

Thanks for the reassurance! The helmet has been resined...hooorah! Big step for me. I will get pics up in the next few days. Been a little busy with the Christmas craziness :p . I've tried doing a few searches, but I cannot find any HD pics of the ODST helmet for detailing. I can find some MC ones, but I am lost with the ODST. Can anyone help me out? Much appreciated!

Great looking pep! You got the scaling spot on too! Keep up the great work and if you need any help, please let us know! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back